KDE "Plasma Next" Reaches Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much better..

Some of it is *slightly* better I suppose..

But I don't like that the wallpaper chooser doesn't show the dimensions/resolution any more..
    And I STILL HATE THAT CASHEW THING!!.. GRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
      Some of it is *slightly* better I suppose..

But I don't like that the wallpaper chooser doesn't show the dimensions/resolution any more..
      And I STILL HATE THAT CASHEW THING!!.. GRRRR
      I've honestly never understood this... just what exactly do you hate about the cashew? Sure you can't remove it in the base shell... but... honestly? it's out of the way and unobtrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        I've honestly never understood this... just what exactly do you hate about the cashew? Sure you can't remove it in the base shell... but... honestly? it's out of the way and unobtrusive.
        You've never understood what people don't like about it?..
        It isn't out of the way to me, it is on my desktop.. I know it doesn't cover very *much* of the desktop, but it still covers some of it.. It is some thing that I have never used even one time.. All of its functionality can already be found in other places like the right-click context menu on the desktop..

"Can't remove it in the base shell"?.. I can't remove it at all.. Is there a way you've found to remove it?.. None of the plasma add-ons can remove it any more in the latest KDE..

In those threads where people show-off their desktop, you can always instantly tell when they are using KDE because of that unremovable useless cashew.. And it goes against the nature of KDE to not even allow the *option* to remove it.. Usually KDE allows users to configure almost any thing and every thing about their desktop-environment.. I'm wondering if I will have to see the cashew for the rest of eternity for as long as I use KDE, or if some day they will actually add an option to hide it finally..

That is great if it doesn't bother you very much, so I know that you might have trouble understanding how some thing so small could bother other people.. Maybe some people are more picky perhaps.. So I will try to use an analogy or two..
        Pretend that you are driving a car, but for some reason all toyota vehicles have a tiny area on the windshield where there is some thing obstructing the view slightly......maybe a black spot, or maybe toyota logo or whatever....some thing that is small, but is always there all the time while you are driving and when you ask toyota "Is there a way you guys can remove this?" they say "No, there is no option to remove that thing, but it is so small, so we don't know why it bothers you so much"..

Or, an other example I will use is gwenview.....
        Look at this image: http://kde.org/announcements/4.8/scr...s/gwenview.png
        See that gray box on the right side?.. That shows up for pictures that are too big to fit on your screen.. It shows you which area of the picture you are currently viewing, but it *never* goes away.. Even when you scroll to the part of a picture that you want to see, and you just want to view the picture by its self, you can't, because that gray navigation box is always there.. It isn't 100% annoying, but it is at least slightly annoying that you can't just view the picture in its raw form with out any thing obstructing it.. Actually, recently, this has changed on gwenview in a new version, and now when you quit moving your mouse for a second, that box will disappear.. They probably changed that because people didn't want to see that box any more if they are not scrolling around, and instead are just wanting to look at the plain picture..

The cashew is similar to that.. You can't ever view your desktop wallpaper 100% in its entirety, because a small percentage is always going to be delegated to the ever-lasting cashew.. It is the same reason some people can't stand when they buy a new monitor and have some dead pixels.. What if you bought a new monitor and had a small blob of 8 dead pixels? Some one might tell you "Dude, your monitor is 1920x1200! 8 pixels is only like 0.00034722% of your screen, why are you so bothered by that?"...But there are people (including me I'm sure) that *will* actually be bothered by some thing like that..a lot.. Some people are so picky that they don't even want 1 dead pixel, because they think "Even though it is very small, it will always be there".. It doesn't ever bother you very much, but it will always be *slightly* annoying you for as long as you have the monitor..

I'm not sure how else to explain it.. Of course there are people who wouldn't be bothered at all by some dead pixels, or the cashew, etc.. But there are some (like me I guess) that don't like it..
        Last edited by Baconmon; 03 April 2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

It isn't out of the way to me, it is on my desktop.. I know it doesn't cover very *much* of the desktop, but it still covers some of it.. It is some thing that I have never used even one time.. All of its functionality can already be found in other places like the right-click context menu on the desktop..

"Can't remove it in the base shell"?.. I can't remove it at all.. Is there a way you've found to remove it?.. None of the plasma add-ons can remove it any more in the latest KDE..
          I knew there at least use to be a way to remove it but honestly it never bothered me so I never kept tabs on whether it still worked

In those threads where people show-off their desktop, you can always instantly tell when they are using KDE because of that unremovable useless cashew.. And it goes against the nature of KDE to not even allow the *option* to remove it.. Usually KDE allows users to configure almost any thing and every thing about their desktop-environment.. I'm wondering if I will have to see the cashew for the rest of eternity for as long as I use KDE, or if some day they will actually add an option to hide it finally..
          Okay I'll give you that, it certainly isn't very KDEish to not be able to remove it. That all said Plasma Workspaces 2 should make it much easier for people like you to remove it with how they restructured the shells.

That is great if it doesn't bother you very much, so I know that you might have trouble understanding how some thing so small could bother other people.. Maybe some people are more picky perhaps.. So I will try to use an analogy or two..
          Pretend that you are driving a car, but for some reason all toyota vehicles have a tiny area on the windshield where there is some thing obstructing the view slightly......maybe a black spot, or maybe toyota logo or whatever....some thing that is small, but is always there all the time while you are driving and when you ask toyota "Is there a way you guys can remove this?" they say "No, there is no option to remove that thing, but it is so small, so we don't know why it bothers you so much"..
          well if it wasn't obtrusive or otherwise getting in my way I wouldn't really care, particularly if it's on the passenger as opposed to driver side. If it was obtrusive though I would care.

See that gray box on the right side?.. That shows up for pictures that are too big to fit on your screen.. It shows you which area of the picture you are currently viewing, but it *never* goes away.. Even when you scroll to the part of a picture that you want to see, and you just want to view the picture by its self, you can't, because that gray navigation box is always there.. It isn't 100% annoying, but it is at least slightly annoying that you can't just view the picture in its raw form with out any thing obstructing it.. Actually, recently, this has changed on gwenview in a new version, and now when you quit moving your mouse for a second, that box will disappear.. They probably changed that because people didn't want to see that box any more if they are not scrolling around, and instead are just wanting to look at the plain picture..
          Dunno about you but if I want to view the picture in all of it's glory I'm just going to turn on slideshow mode, the grey box being there when I want to focus in on a specific section of the picture really hasn't bothered me.

The cashew is similar to that.. You can't ever view your desktop wallpaper 100% in its entirety, because a small percentage is always going to be delegated to the ever-lasting cashew.. It is the same reason some people can't stand when they buy a new monitor and have some dead pixels.. What if you bought a new monitor and had a small blob of 8 dead pixels? Some one might tell you "Dude, your monitor is 1920x1200! 8 pixels is only like 0.00034722% of your screen, why are you so bothered by that?"...But there are people (including me I'm sure) that *will* actually be bothered by some thing like that..a lot.. Some people are so picky that they don't even want 1 dead pixel, because they think "Even though it is very small, it will always be there".. It doesn't ever bother you very much, but it will always be *slightly* annoying you for as long as you have the monitor..
          Well for me as long as it's not covering the wolves on my wallpapers I don't really care, and I typically have other widgets running in particular the system monitor just so I can keep an eye on temperature when I'm running compiles and generally keep a watch on where my CPU and memory are at (specifically moved such that it doesn't get in the way of my wolves). Admittedly I was also one of those people who had a wallpaper full of icons back in the days of Windows 98SE...

Dead pixels would bother me though and I would do an RMA if I got dead pixels in a new monitor as that's a manufacturing defect.

Comment

how to remove that thing

I never had any issues with it to be honest but here it is

Comment

I'm not sure how else to explain it.. Of course there are people who wouldn't be bothered at all by some dead pixels, or the cashew, etc.. But there are some (like me I guess) that don't like it..
              It's amazing how much anger and frustration a tiny little unobtrusive cashew can cause!

Comment

All of its functionality can already be found in other places like the right-click context menu on the desktop.
                In your configuration, yes. But it is possible to configure plasma so that the right-click menu is inaccessible. The cashew is the only way to guarantee that those settings will always be available. So plasma developers made the design decision that they wouldn't allow users to completely break their desktop.

It is implemented at the shell level. If someone wants to make a shell that doesn't have it, they are free to do so. Unfortunately, that is extremely difficult with plasma workspaces 1. Plasma workspaces 2, however, makes it much, much, much easier. Considering how many "hide the cashew" widgets were available in plasma 1, I have little doubt that someone will release a plasma shell that lacks the cashew for plasma workspaces 2.

Uh, a lot of cars have small, non-removable logos or text printing directly on the glass in the corner of a window. Further, many towns require parking stickers to be placed in the corner of a window or your car will be towed.

Comment

Still too bloated to me. I ditched KDE three years ago for tiling WMs and then Openbox. I'd like to return one day cause I love the look but heck I don't know if I could give up the smoothness and responsiveness of these window managers. I'll probably try again when wayland arrives.

Comment

ihatethecashew still works perfectly on latest KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      It is extremely annoying because in design form follows function. This thing that has no function whatsoever is just bad design and I want a well designed desktop. I can't understand how anyone can be NOT annoyed by it. My OCD is exploding!

Comment

Working...
                      X