Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE "Plasma Next" Reaches Alpha

Phoronix: KDE "Plasma Next" Reaches Alpha

Following this week's KDE Frameworks 5 Beta release is the debut of the alpha version of Plasma-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now THAT is how KDE should look!
    Not the windows, they're still using the ugliest shade of grey for everything... but everything else! The panel, notifications/network/calender/etc are simply beautiful. (I'm not sure I caught the theme, was it called "Air"?)

EDIT: it's called "Breeze". Def gotta check out KDE sometime with a theme like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      Now THAT is how KDE should look!
      Not the windows, they're still using the ugliest shade of grey for everything... but everything else! The panel, notifications/network/calender/etc are simply beautiful. (I'm not sure I caught the theme, was it called "Air"?)

EDIT: it's called "Breeze". Def gotta check out KDE sometime with a theme like that.
      you should take a look at this
      In which I am bragging about being in the sun, talk about community design, post some Plasma Next design and then rush out to the beach so ...

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
        I've seen that before, and oh man do I hope that comes to pass. KDE was once the "modern looking DE", simply beautiful in all it's animations and stuff. Then it fell behind, too busy dealing with technical stuff and features.
        Now it can be the most beautiful DE again

Comment

I hope it'll use less memory than it is now.

Comment

For some reason that v?deo makes me remember Peggle deluxe. Looks good, but I still think KDE can still looks better.
            Last edited by edoantonioco; 03 April 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

It's looking good though a few little issues remain:
              - Most importantly the animations still look a bit choppy and I noticed a few artifacts. Hopefully this will get better with Wayland.
              - The start button is too small. I know it's aligned like that because of the blue line that appears above it but it looks bad.
              - The cashew is still there. I need confirmation that it is still possible to hide it under the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                - Most importantly the animations still look a bit choppy and I noticed a few artifacts. Hopefully this will get better with Wayland.
                - The start button is too small. I know it's aligned like that because of the blue line that appears above it but it looks bad.
                - The cashew is still there. I need confirmation that it is still possible to hide it under the panel.
                I think plugin theme etc is the same as before so it should look like kde 4.12

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                  I'd blame the screencasting software for this (or the use of Virtualbox). I tried it a few days ago on Arch and animations were butter smooth, even slightly better than now for the panel and plasma widgets since everything is QML and nicely accelerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    I've seen that before, and oh man do I hope that comes to pass. KDE was once the "modern looking DE", simply beautiful in all it's animations and stuff. Then it fell behind, too busy dealing with technical stuff and features.
                    Now it can be the most beautiful DE again
                    The theme on that's screenshots is Nitrux KDE Suite

One of the Nitrux artits is working on new KDE artwork. The artist behind the Caledonia are there too.

Comment

Working...
                    X