Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Graphics Execution Manager

Phoronix: Intel's Graphics Execution Manager

Amid the on going discussion right now surrounding the TTM memory manager, Intel's Keith Packard has announced another new project that picks up another acronym. The Graphics Execution Manager, or gem for short, that as Keith explains, "It takes the lessons we've learned from TTM and constructs just the API we need to implement the dri_bufmgr interface." That may not sound interesting to an end-user, but through the use of this Intel Graphics Execution Manager, the Intel i915 Linux performance has been improved by 50% in OpenArena and glxgears is running 60% faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice find phoronix, keep up the good work

Comment

the Intel i915 Linux performance has been improved by 50% in OpenArena and glxgears is running 60% faster...
      That's what I like to see!

I've been wondering when they are going to around to optimizing performance rather then just dealing with usability issues (which is undeniably important).

It's going to be very cool when open source drivers begin to rival their proprietary and Windows counterparts.

Comment

This will end up boosting the performance of compositing desktops on Intel even more, I think?

Great news so far. Not only will Intel-drivers provide a nice out of the box experience, they will also be the first ones to deliver kernel based mode-setting and now much more performance.

I'm wondering, if I might be able to play UT2004 on my X3100-laptop. It doesn't need to run with super-high-details, but currently (up to date Arch Linux) it's non-playable.

I do not regret getting that IGP.

Comment

This made me think the investment into Laptops with Intel graphics card is a wise decision.

Comment

This will end up boosting the performance of compositing desktops on Intel even more, I think?

Great news so far. Not only will Intel-drivers provide a nice out of the box experience, they will also be the first ones to deliver kernel based mode-setting and now much more performance.

I'm wondering, if I might be able to play UT2004 on my X3100-laptop. It doesn't need to run with super-high-details, but currently (up to date Arch Linux) it's non-playable.

Comment

Your AI managed to quote without actually using the quote-function of the forum. You are great, Mr. Bot.

Comment

Working...
              X