Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Is Working Towards Its Own Super Fast DHCP Server, Client

Phoronix: Systemd Is Working Towards Its Own Super Fast DHCP Server, Client

Systemd has been working on network support for this leading open-source init system. As part of this, systemd developers have now achieved support for obtaining a network connection in less than one millisecond... With that said, systemd developers are working towards having DHCP client and server capabilities built into the init system for having a super-fast booting OS and quicker network connections when resuming the system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hmmm, can anyone involved explain this? i mean, i understand client as part of booting process, but... server? stucking whole dhcp server complexity into regular boot... i'm kinda having hard time to understand it. stucking half assed partial implementation makes even less sense.

not to mention that sticking network services into boot process really goes against my religion, which begs for question if you stuck dhcp in systemd... where does it stop and what is next? samba or apache?

and yes, i do love systemd... so, no trolling on my part here. just wonderings of regular user

Comment

...this week a DHCP lease can be acquired by networkd in as little as 750 microseconds
      Further patches to networkd will make it even quicker, down to nanoseconds and ultimately to acquire a DHCP lease slightly in the past, but this creates a time paradox where you get the DHCP connection from the future before asking for it hence you never ask for it hence the future changes. They're planning to fix this issue with a boolean flag marked as checked after the connection was already acquired and a goto jump statement 1 second into the future to break the time loop which most users wouldn't notice anyway.
      Last edited by mark45; 02 April 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        hmmm, can anyone involved explain this? i mean, i understand client as part of booting process, but... server? stucking whole dhcp server complexity into regular boot... i'm kinda having hard time to understand it. stucking half assed partial implementation makes even less sense.

not to mention that sticking network services into boot process really goes against my religion, which begs for question if you stuck dhcp in systemd... where does it stop and what is next? samba or apache?

and yes, i do love systemd... so, no trolling on my part here. just wonderings of regular user
        One small note... This is about adding dhcp to systemd-networkd. Under the "systemd" umbrella but not a part of systemd (PID 1). Systemd-networkd is a small network config utility for those who don't want to a custom solution but for whom NetworkManager is overkill.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Further patches to networkd will make it even quicker, down to nanoseconds and ultimately to acquire a DHCP lease slightly in the past, but this creates a time paradox where you get the DHCP connection from the future before asking for it hence you never ask for it hence the future changes. They're planning to fix this issue with a boolean flag marked as checked after the connection was already acquired and a goto jump statement 1 second into the future to break the time loop which most users wouldn't notice anyway.
          Oh thats explained it perfectly

Anyway just one request, don't be another X

Comment

so when will systemd release their own editor and then systemdOS ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              One small note... This is about adding dhcp to systemd-networkd. Under the "systemd" umbrella but not a part of systemd (PID 1). Systemd-networkd is a small network config utility for those who don't want to a custom solution but for whom NetworkManager is overkill.
              But this does raise a question, is this DHCPclient going to be ported over to networkmanager?

Comment

It just needs a print server, http server, ircd (why the hell not), namesever, equivalent of X and a shell.

OS in a bag. just add kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                  so when will systemd release their own editor and then systemdOS ?

Lennart wasn't trolling

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

Well, when you install Debian you get Apache server, etc... by default in the boot process. (imho it is bad, too, and I generally go for a netinst w/ systemd).
                    However maybe with socket activation their dhcp server will be launched only when a dhcpdiscover message is received ?

Comment

Working...
                    X