Systemd Is Working Towards Its Own Super Fast DHCP Server, Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    I guess we agree here: Systemd does follow the Unix philosophy.

[snip]

Anyway, one more article why Unix philosophy is broken: http://lwn.net/Articles/576078/
    That was the funniest part. Are you actually implying that systemd follows a broken philosophy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      That was the funniest part. Are you actually implying that systemd follows a broken philosophy?
      Unix philosphy isn't NECESSARILY broken. It has good ideas but you (not you specifically) can't be a zealot when it comes to it. Sometimes its a good idea, sometimes its not. You take it with a grain of salt and pick the best tool or the best job on a case by case basis.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

The article contains quotes from Doug McIlroy, the one who also wrote the Unix philosophy. So are you implying that he talks BS about his own philosophy?

It's just an example. Most likely inspired by this quote, which is also part of the philosophy: "Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface."
        it doesn't matter if he wrote it or not. if he didn't realize that times have passed and there is more than one way to follow unix meme that he wrote. yep, he is spewing BS since he is not up to date with tech. reread my comment about new abilities to follow same guideline and same unix principle.

how many other claims were outdated by same thing called progress? that doesn't mean they were not valid at time they were made, it just makes them obsolete and outdated. so, if that person doesn't realize that and still spews same bs, yes... he is full of it. like old paper mail delivered by pony express in wild west was replaced with e-mail nowadays. but, in the end it is still mail delivery

I guess we agree here: Systemd does follow the Unix philosophy.
        yes, i never, ever claimed otherwise. systemd is actually one of those rare projects where i can clearly see the improvement. wayland being other one

But this has nothing to do with the Unix philosophy. Confused users are, well, confused users. They should stop talking if they don't understand what they are talking about.
        ok, that one was misfortunate on my part since i most probably didn't succeed to put it up correctly. i wanted to be separated from rest of my comment about unix way aka. when reading that article i noticed why people go to holy war against systemd on pure misunderstanding because they don't know that project systemd (where part of it are also services and pid1) and pid1 systemd are not to be trashed in the same basket. if they both didn't have same name, there would be a lot less confusion.

Anyway, one more article why Unix philosophy is broken: http://lwn.net/Articles/576078/
        and if you read this article, it actually confirms what i said about previous one. it is not "do one thing and do it well" that is broken, it is old unix approach (passing text streams from one command line utility to another) to it that doesn't fit modern times
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 03 April 2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          This IS "do one thing and do it well", Curaga. Its you and a couple other people around here who can't seem to wrap your head around the idea that Systemd (project) and systemd (PID 1 binary) are two different things. This is about extending systemd-networkd, not systemd.
          I can assure you, uid313 is not my dark side. You also might want to re-read my posts in this topic: I'm very well aware of the difference. Hint: the word "umbrella" in the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Unix philosphy isn't NECESSARILY broken. It has good ideas but you (not you specifically) can't be a zealot when it comes to it. Sometimes its a good idea, sometimes its not. You take it with a grain of salt and pick the best tool or the best job on a case by case basis.
            Fair enough. For me systemd is not a solution I would consider, because IMHO it does not follow UNIX philosophy. But of course YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              I can assure you, uid313 is not my dark side. You also might want to re-read my posts in this topic: I'm very well aware of the difference. Hint: the word "umbrella" in the first one.
              Whoops. Sorry Curaga, must've either scrolled up too far or scrolled down on my phone and caught your name instead of his. I'd edit it and swap the names if I was able to.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Edit restrictions also apply to moderators?

Comment

SystemD starts to look more like an alternative for BusyBox than for SysVinit.

Comment

Working...
                  X