No announcement yet.

Canonical Is Shutting Down Ubuntu One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical is amazing at doing all the integration and testing involved with putting out Ubuntu. I love their customizations like the controversial Unity GUI. But their cloud services and app store attempts have been horrible and I'm glad they are closing them.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      This is disappointing, I enjoyed the integration with Unity. Maybe they can work on getting alternatives like dropbox, google drive to integrate nicely as well?

Any programs here on the forum want to take the opensource Ubuntuone client and hack it to display dropbox, googledrive, and owncloud shares instead? Kinda like how the sound menu shows multiple audio players, it could hold the controls for 3rd party cloud services.
      why when owncloud exists?

Comment

A year from now the headline is going to simply be, "Canonical Is Shutting Down Ubuntu".

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
          I have read that the Python use in Dropbox is limited to the user interface and other basic logic, the actual file and network IO is done by librsync which is written in C.
          Yes, that's correct. Of course, the motives for that are mixed - performance may benefit from having that part written in C, but it also allows source code to be hidden. Writing it all in Python would mean giving all users the code that interfaces with the Dropbox servers...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
            You beat me to it. I have been using this client for about a week and it works well.

Comment

I did some testing of Canonical's cloud services in the 11.10 and 12.04 timeframe. I was disappointed. My hope was that they would eventually be able to fix their issues since web based storage and synchronization aren't exactly rocket science. Hearing the news today, I'm actually curious as to what's really going on in Canonical. The key to U1 wasn't that it had to be the highest bandwidth, the largest amount of space, or the cheapest. The Key was rock solid reliability and integration with Ubuntu. I'm really surprised that they couldn't make it work.

That said, I'm completely unsurprised that their music store didn't work out. Asking people to pay for something that's already free is a pretty tough thing to do.

Comment

For those interested in how services treat your data:

Comment

I use unison and its great. Setting up an SSH server with certificate authentication is easy and unison performs very well even with hundreds of gigabytes. I synchronize every half an hour my whole home directory, which is about 130 GB and over a million files (some really big repositories). And it takes about 5 seconds including file transfer. Only the first sync takes long. And there are even clients for android that can also sync from SSH/sftp, although they are not as efficient as unison.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    That part should also be doable by using EncFS locally and having the encrypted shadow directory synced.

Cheers,
                    _
                    EncFS encryption is very badly implemented (lot's of questionable stuff, many things not done according to cryptographic best practice).

Don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                      I almost became a paying user, but the quality of the service stopped me.
                      Before expanding my storage, I started setting up machines to use Ubuntu One. First I got some problems with Windows, but I let it pass. Than I've tried installing on my Debian machine, didn't even manage to get it running...
                      I gave up and tried GDrive, Dropbox, SpiderOak, Copy... The winner btsync and rsync.
                      btsync and rsync are definitely not the solution for everyday work. I used u1 on ubuntu machines and everything worked fine. It least for me. Maybe the problem was that they claimed it was multiplatform, when in reality it could work only on Ubuntu. That is less than one-platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X