Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Massively Expands SplashTop Boards

Phoronix: ASUS Massively Expands SplashTop Boards

ASUS has announced today that they have expanded their selection of SplashTop-enabled motherboards by four with the introduction of the ASUS P5Q motherboard family. In addition, it has been announced by ASUS that they plan to roll-out SplashTop on their "entire motherboard product portfolio, starting with over one million motherboards per month." Congratulations to the DeviceVM folks and the Linux community with this being a major win...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately the Asus P5Q series all seem to come with the Intel ICH10R southbridge which has a built in TPM It would appear that Intel has chosen this as the time to shove DRM down our throats. Fortunately AMD seems to be embracing the foss community as Intel's support falters

Comment

Seeing how Asus caved with the eeePC once Microsoft jumped in, I wonder how long Splashtop systems might survive. I hope long enough for me to hit my upgrade cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
        Seeing how Asus caved with the eeePC once Microsoft jumped in, I wonder how long Splashtop systems might survive. I hope long enough for me to hit my upgrade cycle.
        Speaking of which, reminds me of some thing: I don't know how people would want Windows XP on the EeePC, it just doesn't work right on it! It keeps complaining about the display you can't locate/use the buttons on many dialogs and it takes up a LOT of the small available storage space. The default Xandros-based Linux on it is MUCH better suited. Albeit I couldn't get it to work in "desktop" mode with a KDE session... but if it were possible to create custom launcher icons, that would be excellent! (or if it would allow you to display in its default mode icons from the KDE menu, that would also rock)

Back on topic... From the looks of it, it seems as if Asus is embracing SplashTop across their Intel-only range of boards, I have not seen one AMD-compatible board with SplashTop in it (I'm not saying that they do not exist, only that I have not seen any), are there AMD-compatible boards from ASUS featuring SplashTop?

Comment

You could use a huger virtual display size for Win if needed too.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
            Microsoft can attempt to kill the linux eeePC with a stripped down XP but they have nothing that can be made into an instant on OS. Especially seeing as they don't have and OS (aside from their mobile one, Win CE but that doesn't count) that is less then a gigabyte in size. And seeing as this OS needs to be tiny to fix on the flash disk ({?} not sure if it's a flash disk or what but not much disk space).

Edit- apparently it runs of 512MB of flash memory try and fit XP on that.
            Last edited by Aradreth; 15 May 2008, 02:20 PM. Reason: disk size...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You could use a huger virtual display size for Win if needed too.
              We never figured out how, plus the panning of the screen is (for me) rather uncomfortable.

Comment

Well then you are unable to use google...

Comment

Actually I subscribed to the forum (edit I meant the eeeuser forums). I just simply didn't see any advantage to run XP on the EeePC... Ironically it was too much hassle to get it to work (not difficult, mind you) and the bundled Xandros does a better job (IMO). I saw a couple posts about how to get the display to work correctly in XP and decided to stay with Xandros. Paradoxically, another thing that did work very simply in Xandros that was surprisingly and wasn't so easy to get working on XP was an external display. Booting the EeePC with an external display attached, was simple enough, but wasn't with XP, after several attempts I gave up... I'm sure I would have gotten it to work eventually, but Xandros was much easier, and why wouldn't it be, when it was made specifically for the EeePC?... So why even bother trying to run an inferior product on it? I only wish you could have more control over the items in the different categories, and stuff. I hope ASUS will still have a Linux EeePC for future product versions.
                  Last edited by Thetargos; 15 May 2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

ASUS has been doing a fine job with their EEE PC's imo. I was planning on getting one of the 900's that just came out, but then I heard that ATOM ones were just around the corner (with hyperthreading ) so I am going to wait for them to be released. On their new EEE's, ASUS has both XP and Xandros models at the same price, but the XP models come with a smaller flash disk to compensate for the increased cost of the OS. I would consider that fair to both the windows and linux users because they just added a choice. The only problem I have with ASUS is their other products that are designed for Vista exclusively and include TPM's with no other options.

Comment

Working...
                    X