The GNU Linux-libre 3.14-gnu Ultra-Free Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    As for gigabit Ethernet, I've never once used or seen an Internet connection that could deliver more than 700kB per second
    I get 3.3MB/s just on my home connection, and i remember getting about 2MB/s 10 years ago when living in a dorm. Where are you located?

Comment

I have never once sought "premium" high speed service

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      I get 3.3MB/s just on my home connection, and i remember getting about 2MB/s 10 years ago when living in a dorm. Where are you located?
      Washington DC area. One connection is a cellular hotspot, as I do not control the house I live in and cannot set up utiliites. Maxes out at about 170kbytes/sec. I've seen 700 at libraries near closing time, and about 250 on a friend's cable modem. Nobody I know or deal with his higher-priced service chosen for speed. I chose the cell provider for no ID, none of T-Mobile's "web guard" censorship of unregistered accounts, and no data cap. Throttled yes after I burn through the first 2/3ds of a month, but still fast enough for me to disrgard their "soft cap." The only time I would even benefit from faster wifi cards would be for direct computer to computer hookups to transfer files. I need speed for that I use an encrypted USB stick.

Comment

Working...
      X