Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15-Way Radeon/GeForce Source Engine Comparison On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Default 15-Way Radeon/GeForce Source Engine Comparison On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: 15-Way Radeon/GeForce Source Engine Comparison On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

For ending out March here are benchmarks of 15 different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when running several of Valve's Source Engine games: Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Portal, Team-Fortress 2, and Counter-Strike: Source.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20095

For this benchmark I would like to see it against Windows 8.1, and using both drivers (radeon and catalyst). Just an opinion.
    Last edited by edoantonioco; 03-31-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Michael: where is your R9 290? Did it burn?

How comes the R9 290 is never benchmarked recently? I appreciate AMD haven't sent you any new cards but you may as well review the ones you have.

If it is due to time it would be better to drop some of the very low spec cards like the GT610 which can't get near decent fps in the benchmarks in favor of the sort of gaming cards people are likely to go and buy.

nice to see some real games benchmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Herem View Post
    If it is due to time it would be better to drop some of the very low spec cards like the GT610 which can't get near decent fps in the benchmarks in favor of the sort of gaming cards people are likely to go and buy.
    To me it is always good to have one or two low specs nvidia and radeon cards, for the reason people can see what cards are not as good for playing some of those gaming titles and maybe some which should be playable .

Otherwise if you exclude low and older cards this benchmarks will start to be boring because all others performs good .

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Otherwise if you exclude low and older cards this benchmarks will start to be boring because all others performs good .
    Not when nVidia blows AMD away as in some of the tests in this benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    Not when nVidia blows AMD away as in some of the tests in this benchmark.
    I can't be sure who blows away who because there is CPU bottleneck in some cases here, so with different kind of CPU things maybe different . To me results with 120 fps and up just shows card/driver is OK for those titles, but when benchmark results all goes up that margin it starts to be boring .

Looking forward to seeing these released for use on SteamOS..... Oh, Wait... They already are. See you in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    To me results with 120 fps and up just shows card/driver is OK for those titles, but when benchmark results all goes up that margin it starts to be boring .
    To me results in that range mean that I can safely crank up the settings (AA, AF, whatever the game has to offer) a notch or two. Sadly, I can not find anything about game settings mentioned in those benchmarks.