No announcement yet.

Looking for a solution to disk failure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a solution to disk failure!

Hi people,
    I have been using my disk for quite a long time but the other day I heard the drive making some noise and had to restart the system again. But when I did that the disk would not boot and I fear that the data might be deleted or lost. So, if you people have any know about the ways to get this done right or if you can at least suggest me the ways to handle this ?it will be a great help.

Originally posted by georgebrown View Post
    Hi people,
    I have been using my disk for quite a long time but the other day I heard the drive making some noise and had to restart the system again. But when I did that the disk would not boot and I fear that the data might be deleted or lost. So, if you people have any know about the ways to get this done right or if you can at least suggest me the ways to handle this ?it will be a great help.
    you could use partimage or dd to have a snapshot of your disk. of course you'll need to replace it first with another before doing the snapshot. then you mount that snaphot and take away the data from it. after you've finished collecting the data you could throw away you old disk as it is now almost dead.
    but remember: do an image of the disk, copy it somewhere and then, if you need to do stuff like reiserfsck or similar tools that work on the disk do them on a copy of the image. so that you still have a clean image of the disk and the disk itself if your copy image happens to not work.
    i'd choose partimage because it snaps the used disk while dd snaps the whole sectors, even the clean ones.

Comment

Re:

This seems to be a genuine problem. It must be probably due to the ?noise? you have stated?.there may be some bad sectors in the boot sector or may be the OS has been corrupted. These are all just views but you can?t be sure?..you must try to recover data disk and make it as simple as possible to avoid complications. There are many ways to get that done and I hope that you get your data back from suitable ways.

Comment

Working...
      X