Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developers Keep Striving To Build The Linux Kernel With LLVM Clang

Default Developers Keep Striving To Build The Linux Kernel With LLVM Clang

Phoronix: Developers Keep Striving To Build The Linux Kernel With LLVM Clang

With another Linux Foundation Summit means another time to hear an update about LLVMLinux, the Linux Foundation backed project to build the mainline Linux kernel with LLVM's Clang C/C++ compiler in place of GCC...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0NDg

Seems to be it is not an easy job, but the final result will be interesting.

Thumbs down They will hardly succeed

At least sounds scary to me: dynamically changing execution paths at the kernel level.
    Anything that could go wrong, will gain new interesting ways to badly fail.
    In my opinion.

How do the patches affect performance?
    I guess GCC can compile the patched version too, so maybe someone can benchmark the vanilla vs patched kernel (both compile by gcc with same options) to see if there is a reason not to upstream the patches?

Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    I guess GCC can compile the patched version too, so maybe someone can benchmark the vanilla vs patched kernel (both compile by gcc with same options) to see if there is a reason not to upstream the patches?
    You'd have to write a benchmark to target each of the patched areas... normal benchmarks may not show any differences but some people probably need the proformance provided by these optimizations.

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    You'd have to write a benchmark to target each of the patched areas... normal benchmarks may not show any differences but some people probably need the proformance provided by these optimizations.
    These "optimizations" are non-standard C code (GCC specific). I would rather have standardized C code than relying on a single compiler that creates a subset of C...
    Yes, performance matters, but so does keeping everything Open and giving people a choice in what software they use (compilers included)

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    These "optimizations" are non-standard C code (GCC specific). I would rather have standardized C code than relying on a single compiler that creates a subset of C...[...]
    Wouldn't it be superset? A subset would be more compatible with other compilers.

Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    I think the main reason to not include these patches is because they will make code uglier. Linux uses some gcc extensions which clang doesn't support. Linux devs don't want to rewrite code in standard c and clang devs don't want to support these extensions. At least this is what I remeber from previous Phoronix articles/discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by chinoto View Post
    Wouldn't it be superset? A subset would be more compatible with other compilers.
    Yes, thanks for that correction. I often forget about the word "superset"

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    These "optimizations" are non-standard C code (GCC specific). I would rather have standardized C code than relying on a single compiler that creates a subset of C...
    Yes, performance matters, but so does keeping everything Open and giving people a choice in what software they use (compilers included)
    You can not write a kernel with standard C. The only reason Clang can even build it with these patches is because they already have support for most GCC extensions.