Thread: The Special Intel Broadwell Driver In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hybrid View

Default The Special Intel Broadwell Driver In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: The Special Intel Broadwell Driver In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Due to Ubuntu 14.04 shipping with the Linux 3.13 kernel, a specially-crafted "i915_bdw" driver has been introduced for offering Intel Broadwell graphics support in this upcoming Ubuntu Linux release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0ODY

I don't get it. Broadwell will arrive end of 2014/early 2015.

Ubuntu 14.04.2 with hardware enablement backports (new Linux kernel, Mesa, Xserver etc.) will be released in early 2015 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I don't get it. Broadwell will arrive end of 2014/early 2015.

Ubuntu 14.04.2 with hardware enablement backports (new Linux kernel, Mesa, Xserver etc.) will be released in early 2015 anyway.
    I know, right? AFAIK even 14.04.1 will be released around august. That should have 3.14 backported.

Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    I know, right? AFAIK even 14.04.1 will be released around august. That should have 3.14 backported.
    Canonical will be printing thousands of 14.04.0 DVD's and they will be the only official medias from and untill 16.04 is released.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Canonical will be printing thousands of 14.04.0 DVD's and they will be the only official medias from and untill 16.04 is released.
    the official image is just a download away, and what you get from http://www.ubuntu.com/download are the latest point-releases, so .0 will be replaced with .1 as soon as it's available

also, 12.04(.0) cd's seem to be have been out of stock for some time already..

Quote Originally Posted by tjaalton View Post
    the official image is just a download away, and what you get from http://www.ubuntu.com/download are the latest point-releases,
    Ok you find and explain that to the people who have poor performance and a crashy system even though they used the OFFICIAL cd and applied all updates from the update manager. Also you will have to distribute USB-keys or DVD-burdneres+media and teach them how to get the ISO on it, with out them loosing there motivation.

so .0 will be replaced with .1 as soon as it's available
    As stated abouve .1 will not carry a new kernel.

also, 12.04(.0) cd's seem to be have been out of stock for some time already..
    We recived about 200 cd's about two months ago and they have not all been distributed to the public yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    wrong

14.04.2 will have the kernel/xorg stack from 14.10 backported, 14.04.1 will just get all the stable release updates between .0 and .1, no new kernel version bump there