Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Zenbook UX301LA: A Nice Intel Ultrabook For Linux Users

Phoronix: ASUS Zenbook UX301LA: A Nice Intel Ultrabook For Linux Users

As I wrote about at the beginning of March, I bought the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T Haswell-based ultrabook to replace an Apple Retina MacBook Pro as my main system. I've been using this latest Zenbook with Intel Iris Graphics and dual SSDs for several weeks now as my main system and have taken it on four business trips so far and it's been running great. Paired with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA makes a rather nice lightweight yet powerful Linux system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you show pictures of the SSDs?

Past Zenbooks have used some proprietary SSD, I am hoping they solved that problem.

Comment

Zenbooks are really awesome, as long as you check hardware compatibility before installing Linux on them.

I have one at work and one at home, and they are light, quiet, reliable, and look great.

Comment

How does it compare to the 13 inch rMBP? I've been eyeing both, but the rMBP seems to be a bit cheaper, has a 16:10 screen and is much easier to find in the UK.

Comment

Another advantage of Asus for a Linux laptop is that they easily reimburse windows licence (at least in France, I think it's also possible for office one but I never had to do it) wich can have some impact on the final price. You don't need to send your computer back or this kind of thing.
          In euro, I had 42? back for a windows 8 home licence, it's a little more than 82 ? for a windows 8 pro licence.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudin View Post
            Another advantage of Asus for a Linux laptop is that they easily reimburse windows licence (at least in France, I think it's also possible for office one but I never had to do it) wich can have some impact on the final price. You don't need to send your computer back or this kind of thing.
            In euro, I had 42? back for a windows 8 home licence, it's a little more than 82 ? for a windows 8 pro licence.
            That's definitely something to think about. Is there an official channel for such requests, or did you just contact Asus support?

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
              That's definitely something to think about. Is there an official channel for such requests, or did you just contact Asus support?
              In France there is a direct channel (an email adress), the technical support will give it to you if you ask them.
              After that they ask several informations (photo of the computer stickers, invoice, warranty card), and to fill a few forms than you send back by email.
              It takes between 2 weeks and one month to be reimbursed after that.

Comment

(id didn't find how to edit my previous post, sorry for the double-post).

The email adress for France (at least, i don't know if it's international) is : acf_coa at asus.com

There's a time limit after the purchase for asking for a reimbursement I think (something like 3 month)

I don't know if you can ask for it after you've accepted the Terms of Use of Windows (and connected your computer on Internet) either

Comment

@Michael -
                  The micro-HDMI port is also located close enough to one of the USB 3.0 ports that if using some micro-HDMI to HDMI adapters, the USB port next to it is blocked.
                  I've run into this problem with my HP ultrabook, which has a full HDMI port rather than micro-HDMI. For all of the full HDMI cables and adapters I've tried so far, the extra plastic on the side of the plug can simply be shaved off with a knife to allow room for access to the USB port (if you don't mind hacking up your cables and adapters - definitely not for those who are planning to return or exchange them to the store).

Comment

I wish the peecee laptop makers would innovate and create their own designs, instead of their current fad: copy everything Apple does. This asus laptop is a blatent Macbook Air clone. Everything from the lightly recessed chiclet-style keyboard, to the metal outer skin, to the gently sloping wedge shape of the chassis. A casual stroll through Best Buy reveals every peecee manufacturer doing the same. It's difficult in fact, to find a consumer laptop that isn't a blatent rip-off of Apple's design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Apple (don't own a single product from them) but this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.

Comment

Working...
                    X