Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal & HL2 Lost Coast Linux Benchmarks Added

Phoronix: Portal & HL2 Lost Coast Linux Benchmarks Added

Users of the Phoronix Test Suite and OpenBenchmarking.org can now easily fire-up Half-Life 2: Lost Coast and Valve's Portal for some new Linux game benchmarking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't you use a single Steam game library that you keep on a harddrive or similar.
    Then you just can tell Steam to not update those games.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think it matters that Valve patches their games and you can't roll back to older releases. Nobody cares about the performance of an older version of software anyway, and it's not like the performance in a game from a studio that only releases games that are heavily optimized, and all the patches henceforth don't really affect performance anyway, is going to change performance at all just because a patch is released that fixes non-performance-related bugs. In fact, I can't recall any articles on here where you compared performance of an older benchmark with a fresh benchmark -- they are always carried out with fresh benchmarks and references to prior benchmarks you performed. In that case, it really makes no difference at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        Can't you use a single Steam game library that you keep on a harddrive or similar.
        Then you just can tell Steam to not update those games.
        That's no use for fair cross-platform testing, unless you keep such a library for each platform and take care to update them at the same time. Even if you do that, it's still very hard for anyone else to replicate your test because they'd need to have saved the same version (it's proprietary software, so you can't send your copy to them).

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          Honestly, I don't think it matters that Valve patches their games and you can't roll back to older releases. Nobody cares about the performance of an older version of software anyway, and it's not like the performance in a game from a studio that only releases games that are heavily optimized, and all the patches henceforth don't really affect performance anyway, is going to change performance at all just because a patch is released that fixes non-performance-related bugs. In fact, I can't recall any articles on here where you compared performance of an older benchmark with a fresh benchmark -- they are always carried out with fresh benchmarks and references to prior benchmarks you performed. In that case, it really makes no difference at all.
          Exactly: who cares about benchmarks run on old, crusty ass unpatched versions of software? Suppose there's some poor ass performance in some game X where you're getting 16fps on card Y. It's patched so that one now gets 48fps on the same card. Would anyone care that the same card performs just as miserably on a newer kernel on the crusty old version of the game as it did back then? Or that some newer card Z on the same architecture (e.g. Pitcairn) performs also miserably on the crusty old version of the game? I doubt it! I sure as hell don't!

Comment

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 vs radeon 7790 + Mesa 10.2-git

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
              Exactly: who cares about benchmarks run on old, crusty ass unpatched versions of software? Suppose there's some poor ass performance in some game X where you're getting 16fps on card Y. It's patched so that one now gets 48fps on the same card. Would anyone care that the same card performs just as miserably on a newer kernel on the crusty old version of the game as it did back then? Or that some newer card Z on the same architecture (e.g. Pitcairn) performs also miserably on the crusty old version of the game? I doubt it! I sure as hell don't!
              When you are comparing the same card on two different version of the kernel you do care if it was a fix in the actual game or not. Phoronix is striving to make comparisons betwean benchmark results valid wich puts this restraint on how the software has to be set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1403310PT15

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 vs radeon 7790 + Mesa 10.2-git
                What driver did you used with 7790 , the OSS RADEON ?
                IF so, it wasn't a fair comparison....or complete...you should have done it with Catalyst also....

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  When you are comparing the same card on two different version of the kernel you do care if it was a fix in the actual game or not. Phoronix is striving to make comparisons betwean benchmark results valid wich puts this restraint on how the software has to be set up.
                  Are you telling me that the sole or main purpose of Phoronix benchmarking is troubleshooting? To see whether there's a kernel regression/improvement or whether it was in the game? That's an interesting goal no doubt, but probably more people are just interested in pure linux performance (and relative performance, i.e. to other OSes) given the latest software on the latest kernel and drivers.

Comment

Yeah, it would be really nice if you could specify what version (inc "current") that you would like the benchmark to run. But i guess that is the only option you get with the Steam games, so they are a good pick when you are doing a batch of benchmarks to see the current state of things.

Comment

Working...
                    X