No announcement yet.

Chinese People Try To Patent Wine On ARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, the article and title are in poor taste. This is a group of individuals not "chinese people". Their nationality is of little relevance to what they're trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      Michael, the article and title are in poor taste. This is a group of individuals not "chinese people". Their nationality is of little relevance to what they're trying to do.
      THIS. Michael please change at least the title.

Comment

If they actually are Chinese (likely), then I don't see the slightest problem with the title. They are people, and they would be Chinese. Tumblr social-justice-warrior political-correctness shite has nothing to do with journalism.

Unless facts hurt your precious feelings, in which case, go ahead.
        Last edited by aphirst; 31 March 2014, 09:08 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          and Wine on ARM has been making much progress. As of this year, Wine on ARM can run basic applications like Solitaire
          Is irony hidden here

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
            If they actually are Chinese (likely), then I don't see the slightest problem with the title. They are people, and they would be Chinese. Tumblr social-justice-warrior political-correctness shite has nothing to do with journalism.

Unless facts hurt your precious feelings, in which case, go ahead.
            Try replacing it with "black", "gay" or "women" and see if that still seams factually relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              Try replacing it with "black", "gay" or "women" and see if that still seams factually relevant.
              Nope, don't see the problem. Maybe it's because I lack an underlying association of "pointing out someone's black/gay/female/chinese" with "being those things is bad". It's just things they are.

I bet you'd be all for pointing out that they were black/gay/female/chinese if they were doing something good, though?

Comment

Racism

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                To be fair, the Chinese people are called 毛德操, 王承志, 徐鼎鼎, 陈天洲, 马建良. Or according to Google translate, Maud parade, Wang Chengzhi, Xu Dingding, Chen Tianzhou, Ma Jianliang.

Lol Dingding. The persons name already hears the sound of money.

I always thought there are open-minded people on this forum, but this topic just showed me how racist they could be. I am a Chinese student myself. This good sir I am replying to doesn't actually think we are silly enough to name our children "Maud parade", does he? I don't know what "Dingding" is, all I know is that a beautiful language of thousands years of history can become this ridiculous in some barbarians' filthy mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by SSwolfenstein
                  Well you couldn't use your standard of high racism-tolerance to judge everyone. If I am a bigot for pointing out that I am hurt by racism, what makes you by judging me then?
                  If "Maud parade" and "dingding" sounds OK to you, you could at least change your username to that .
                  Of course there are some individuals crossed the line or broke the rules. But according to your infant logic, billions of Chinese people should be lampooned and pay for that?
                  I wasn't calling *you* a bigot in that first line - I was lampooning the position of those who accuse people of racism and bigotry for mere trifles.

People all over the world are gonna find things from other places all over the world funny. Oh no. What a shame. Guess we'll have to ban humour!
                  Or, we could simply bother to distinguish the cases where people are deliberately trying to cause harm.

Comment

A new member with a provoking username (SSwolfenstein, really?), complaining about racism. Who else thinks that Honton has found a new low?

Comment

Originally posted by thrownaway
                      Does Michael title "North American people try to patent..." or "European people..." if applicable?
                      Usually not. So? I fail to see where you established that this necessarily implies hatefulness of any kind.

Originally posted by thrownaway
                      Is it OK to title "Black man steal a bike" if he's black but "Man steal a bike" if he's white? There is nothing wrong with being black!
                      People tacitly assume that whatever they are is "normal", and so will usually only bother to make distinct things which are different. Jumping down the throats of people who do this (protip: everyone does, in different contexts) seems to be missing the wider point of genuine tolerance, and devalues arguments against genuine intolerance.

Clearly we do not accept journalists writing "nigger stole bike". The reason that would be bad is because of the unfounded assumed association being drawn with it. Clearly we want a world where people do not automatically care what race/gender/whatever other people are. However a necessary result of living in this idealised world would also be that people shouldn't care when the race/gender/whatever of people is merely mentioned. In such a world, objecting to the mere acknowledgement of difference would reflect a genuine sense of intolerance and bigotry, because the person objecting to the difference being mentioned would only need to do so if they believed that the difference itself implied better-or-worse-ness - i.e. if they were intolerant.

tl;dr this is a non-issue, but internet whiners have to waste their time doing something, therefore RACISM

Comment

Working...
                      X