Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese People Try To Patent Wine On ARM

Default Chinese People Try To Patent Wine On ARM

Phoronix: Chinese People Try To Patent Wine On ARM

The latest illustration of software patents being bad and of pure silliness is a group of Chinese people trying to obtain a patent covering Wine on ARM for having the open-source program running Windows programs on the CPU architecture popular to smart-phones...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0ODI

This is horrible, but also a great example of the silliness of Software Patents.

Otoh, I am not sure I like the emphasis on the Nationality of the individuals involved. Saying where the patent was filed is important, but slamming the Chinese People in the article's title? Mmm ... no so cool.

Anyways, thank you for sharing, Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    This is horrible, but also a great example of the silliness of Software Patents.

Otoh, I am not sure I like the emphasis on the Nationality of the individuals involved. Saying where the patent was filed is important, but slamming the Chinese People in the article's title? Mmm ... no so cool.

To be fair, the Chinese people are called 毛德操, 王承志, 徐鼎鼎, 陈天洲, 马建良. Or according to Google translate, Maud parade, Wang Chengzhi, Xu Dingding, Chen Tianzhou, Ma Jianliang.

Lol Dingding. The persons name already hears the sound of money.

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post

There's a whole system of sorts in place for Chinese manufacturers without Western owners to get their hands on the shinies that come out of Western companies. Everything from the branded clothes on your back (my friends have been offered hard cash for the shirts off their backs because they were the latest design when they were in Bali and Thailand) to golf clubs, tech-goods and car parts; you name it, they'll emulate it and pump it out. Usually at an inferior quality. You have to be careful that local stores aren't stocking these inferior brands (some knowingly, others unwittingly) and flogging them off to you at Western prices after they've paid less than the real brands supply prices.

Like anyone, I'm curious why they would bother attempting patenting an open-source product, or possibly they are releasing a product soon that's based off WINE?

This is rediculus and better not be enforcable

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    There's a whole system of sorts in place for Chinese manufacturers without Western owners to get their hands on the shinies that come out of Western companies. Everything from the branded clothes on your back (my friends have been offered hard cash for the shirts off their backs because they were the latest design when they were in Bali and Thailand) to golf clubs, tech-goods and car parts; you name it, they'll emulate it and pump it out. Usually at an inferior quality. You have to be careful that local stores aren't stocking these inferior brands (some knowingly, others unwittingly) and flogging them off to you at Western prices after they've paid less than the real brands supply prices.

Like anyone, I'm curious why they would bother attempting patenting an open-source product, or possibly they are releasing a product soon that's based off WINE?
    Like anyone in China, they are protecting their ideas from being copied by other Chinese.

They have done similar things to Android for several times. Firstly there was OPhone, which is "open-sourced" , then there came COS.

They should be banned from contributing, and thier work should be removed and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    They should be banned from contributing, and thier work should be removed and replaced.
    Why would you think they ever contributed in the first place?

Default Bad title

The title of the article is not the best. At least by only reading the title it gives you the impression that 1.3 billion Chinese people are supporting the patent or something like that. But it turns out in the article that it's not "Chinese people", it's 5 random people who happen to be Chinese. Big difference. I'd remove "Chinese People" from the title and replace it with something like "Some People" or "A Group of People".

Haven't the Chinese built their domestic business around copying Western stuff for years now? They've been ignoring patents left and right, haven't they? This feels hypocritical to say the least. And yes, I realise this is a subset of the Chinese people, but I think the irony still stands.