NVIDIA's GeForce Driver On Ubuntu 14.04 Runs The Same As Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's GeForce Driver On Ubuntu 14.04 Runs The Same As Windows 8.1

Phoronix: NVIDIA's GeForce Driver On Ubuntu 14.04 Runs The Same As Windows 8.1

After in the past few days delivering fresh results looking at the Intel Haswell graphics performance between Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then looking at the AMD Radeon performance between Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 while also testing the open-source Radeon Gallium3D drivers, in this article our attention has turned to the NVIDIA Windows vs. Linux performance with GeForce 600/700 series graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like how, even though you say it "runs the same", the Linux drivers pulled a few frames ahead in almost all of those

Comment

It seems that both AMD and Nvidia have their drivers working equally well on Windows and Linux. Slight advantage on Linux.

Comment

Michael, I do not know if you are doing it, you should uninstall/disable apport in *buntus, when performing benchmarks:

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport#Why_is_it_disabled.3F:

"Data collection from apport takes a nontrivial amount of CPU and I/O resources, which slow down the computer and don't allow you to restart the crashed program for several seconds".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apport_(software)#Ubuntu:

"Apport is disabled by default on official end-user-facing releases of Ubuntu".

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          I really like how, even though you say it "runs the same", the Linux drivers pulled a few frames ahead in almost all of those
          Yup. I would even change the article header to reflect that. In any case, good to see that on the CPU limited test cases Linux manages to pull quite some more extra frames than Windows. That reflects the virtues of Linux. What I would _really_ like to know is if the Linux blob is as much optimised as its Windows counterpart... If I had to take a guess, I would say it isn't, given that the GeForce 750 lagged a bit behind in some cases (GPU limited in many test cases).

Comment

@Michael, maybe you can benchmark and compare latest few AMD Catalyst version like 13.12, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3 and maybe some older in graphic hd 5850/5830, 6870, 7870, 5650m, R7/R9?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
              @Michael, maybe you can benchmark and compare latest few AMD Catalyst version like 13.12, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3 and maybe some older in graphic hd 5850/5830, 6870, 7870, 5650m, R7/R9?
              Likely not worthwhile, at least with so many GPUs, when AMD isn't interested in sending Linux hardware samples and several of those GPUs you mention I don't even own...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                It seems that both AMD and Nvidia have their drivers working equally well on Windows and Linux. Slight advantage on Linux.
                Yes in raw OpenGL performance. But keep in mind Catalyst might still offer lower OpenGL performance than Direct3D performance.

Also there is still a gap in features on Nvidia and AMD drivers.

Comment

amd?

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  amd? lol dont say that

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
                    Yup. I would even change the article header to reflect that. In any case, good to see that on the CPU limited test cases Linux manages to pull quite some more extra frames than Windows. That reflects the virtues of Linux. What I would _really_ like to know is if the Linux blob is as much optimised as its Windows counterpart... If I had to take a guess, I would say it isn't, given that the GeForce 750 lagged a bit behind in some cases (GPU limited in many test cases).
                    The optimizations are pretty much shared between drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X