Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: NVIDIA's GeForce Driver On Ubuntu 14.04 Runs The Same As Windows 8.1

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,396

    Default NVIDIA's GeForce Driver On Ubuntu 14.04 Runs The Same As Windows 8.1

    Phoronix: NVIDIA's GeForce Driver On Ubuntu 14.04 Runs The Same As Windows 8.1

    After in the past few days delivering fresh results looking at the Intel Haswell graphics performance between Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then looking at the AMD Radeon performance between Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 while also testing the open-source Radeon Gallium3D drivers, in this article our attention has turned to the NVIDIA Windows vs. Linux performance with GeForce 600/700 series graphics cards.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20087

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    430

    Default

    I really like how, even though you say it "runs the same", the Linux drivers pulled a few frames ahead in almost all of those

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I really like how, even though you say it "runs the same", the Linux drivers pulled a few frames ahead in almost all of those
    Yup. I would even change the article header to reflect that. In any case, good to see that on the CPU limited test cases Linux manages to pull quite some more extra frames than Windows. That reflects the virtues of Linux. What I would _really_ like to know is if the Linux blob is as much optimised as its Windows counterpart... If I had to take a guess, I would say it isn't, given that the GeForce 750 lagged a bit behind in some cases (GPU limited in many test cases).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31

    Default

    @Michael, maybe you can benchmark and compare latest few AMD Catalyst version like 13.12, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3 and maybe some older in graphic hd 5850/5830, 6870, 7870, 5650m, R7/R9?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xpris View Post
    @Michael, maybe you can benchmark and compare latest few AMD Catalyst version like 13.12, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3 and maybe some older in graphic hd 5850/5830, 6870, 7870, 5650m, R7/R9?
    Likely not worthwhile, at least with so many GPUs, when AMD isn't interested in sending Linux hardware samples and several of those GPUs you mention I don't even own...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Likely not worthwhile, at least with so many GPUs, when AMD isn't interested in sending Linux hardware samples and several of those GPUs you mention I don't even own...
    Maybe you can bench only just a few that you have at home?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    Yup. I would even change the article header to reflect that. In any case, good to see that on the CPU limited test cases Linux manages to pull quite some more extra frames than Windows. That reflects the virtues of Linux. What I would _really_ like to know is if the Linux blob is as much optimised as its Windows counterpart... If I had to take a guess, I would say it isn't, given that the GeForce 750 lagged a bit behind in some cases (GPU limited in many test cases).
    The optimizations are pretty much shared between drivers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    431

    Default

    It seems that both AMD and Nvidia have their drivers working equally well on Windows and Linux. Slight advantage on Linux.

  9. #9

    Default

    Michael, I do not know if you are doing it, you should uninstall/disable apport in *buntus, when performing benchmarks:

    http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport#Why_is_it_disabled.3F:

    "Data collection from apport takes a nontrivial amount of CPU and I/O resources, which slow down the computer and don't allow you to restart the crashed program for several seconds".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apport_(software)#Ubuntu:

    "Apport is disabled by default on official end-user-facing releases of Ubuntu".

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It seems that both AMD and Nvidia have their drivers working equally well on Windows and Linux. Slight advantage on Linux.
    Yes in raw OpenGL performance. But keep in mind Catalyst might still offer lower OpenGL performance than Direct3D performance.

    Also there is still a gap in features on Nvidia and AMD drivers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •