Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,193

    Default Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

    Phoronix: Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

    Valve has come a long way in the past two years over the past two years with the introduction of Steam for Linux, porting of their games to Linux, the introduction of SteamOS, pushing of other game publishers to Linux, open-sourcing some game components, and much more...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0NzM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve Has Come A Long Way: 2 Years Ago They Were Linux Headhunting

    Valve has come a long way in the past two years over the past two years with the introduction of Steam for Linux, porting of their games to Linux, the introduction of SteamOS, pushing of other game publishers to Linux, open-sourcing some game components, and much more...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0NzM
    If it makes you feel better most of us thought it was a joke as well. Linux gaming is becoming a thing. I wish I could stop playing Dota2 long enough to play some other games I own but I keep buying most everything that looks interesting to show my support. Thanks valve.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    565

    Default

    First off, yes, Michael, you were right And thanks for helping them move things forward.

    As for a request: I would love for Valve to work with Crouton and Google, and team up to produce Chromebooks and Chromeboxes that will game via Steam. The main requirement is 4GB of RAM at least, and a harddrive( as opposed to 2GB RAM and 16gb SSD). Given the low resolution in these machines, a Haswell Celeron will do for most games.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Steamboxes, steam os, and announcements for many interesting games on linux/steam os. I find the idea of having a small dedicated steambox that I actually own and I can upgrade its hardware very appealing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I'm satisfied with Valve's work on GNU Linux. As a user, I can only ask for more games and more free software releases. VOGL is a good initiative. Support on free drivers would be a nice thing. GNU Linux graphics stack works best with a full free stack (as anything Linux related).
    Improvements on game library sharing should be made. As I understand now, you share the whole library and it's not game by game.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    I'm satisfied with Valve's work on GNU Linux. As a user, I can only ask for more games and more free software releases. VOGL is a good initiative. Support on free drivers would be a nice thing. GNU Linux graphics stack works best with a full free stack (as anything Linux related).
    Improvements on game library sharing should be made. As I understand now, you share the whole library and it's not game by game.
    Are you using a translator? It sounds like it.

    As long as you're playing any Steam game, you're not using a fully free stack.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    932

    Default

    I really want this to succeed!

    However, I'm getting more and more pessimistic.
    There are very few AAA titles released (I love indie games, don't get me wrong).
    Some have been announced long time ago: X-Com, Civ5, Total War 2 etc...
    The Steam Linux user base stagnates.
    I didn't expected it to explode, but hope was high that it reaches 3-5% at least.
    The German magazin heise* lately featured an article how crappy the current steam controller is (Link to article).
    According to Valve they plan to change only minor details...

    It's great what has been achieved so far, but I somehow miss the progress lately.
    Let's hope the Steam Machines will change this.

    [*] heise has a high reputation and is not known for sensationalism.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    Are you using a translator? It sounds like it.

    As long as you're playing any Steam game, you're not using a fully free stack.
    My natural language is not English and I wrote that comment without much though on how to write it correctly. If you found any errors you could tell me about them.

    When I'm talking about a fully free stack I'm talking on the OS side of things: basic user land (OpenGL libraries, kernel interfaces...) plus kernel land (drivers...). Of course Steam is not free and on top of that it has DRM.
    Last edited by Filiprino; 03-29-2014 at 04:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    First off, yes, Michael, you were right And thanks for helping them move things forward.

    As for a request: I would love for Valve to work with Crouton and Google, and team up to produce Chromebooks and Chromeboxes that will game via Steam. The main requirement is 4GB of RAM at least, and a harddrive( as opposed to 2GB RAM and 16gb SSD). Given the low resolution in these machines, a Haswell Celeron will do for most games.
    The last thing we need is Google swalling up even bigger parts of the market and more Linux users (technically and emotionally) dependent on Google crap.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Some have been announced long time ago: X-Com, Civ5, Total War 2 etc...
    Civ5 was never announced for Linux/SteamOS. It's just some websites spread rumors based on nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •