Thread: Intel Adds Initial Cherryview Support To Their Linux 3D Driver

Default Intel Adds Initial Cherryview Support To Their Linux 3D Driver

Phoronix: Intel Adds Initial Cherryview Support To Their Linux 3D Driver

Cherryview Atom SoCs aren't being released for several months but the first bits of hardware enablement have landed within the open-source Mesa 3D Linux graphics driver. Cherryview with the Cherry Trail platform is the next-generation successor to the wonderful Bay Trail hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0Njk

what exactly is cherrytrail? willow trail will feature new cores and will be released right after cherrytrail.

is cherrytrail just a shrinked baytrail to 14nm?

Quote Originally Posted by widardd View Post
    what exactly is cherrytrail? willow trail will feature new cores and will be released right after cherrytrail.

After some googling it looks like Bay Trail matches up with Silvermont, which is kinda sorta Haswell. So if we work off that...

Baytrail ---> Haswell
    Cherry Trail ---> Broadwell
    Willow Trail ---> Silverlake

Tock's like Haswell and Will Trail add in new features and a revamped Architectures. Tick's like Broadwell are a die shrink and a fine tunement of the previous Tock (better performance, slight modifications. But nothing major). If you're looking for an upgrade path I'd recommend Tick's since a Die Shrink normally brings along better temperature and power consumption for a given Tick-Tock cycle.

EDIT: If someone from Intel could post and either confirm or disprove me, that'd be awesome. Because this is just what I found googling around and trying to Match up SOC Architecture's with Mainstream Architectures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Baytrail ---> Haswell
    Cherry Trail ---> Broadwell
    Willow Trail ---> Silverlake
    Eric, only "Core" branded chips are in the Tick/Tock cycle. The Atoms are officially not. Let me list some Atom vs Core cores.

Core:
    Ivy Bridge-3rd Gen Core "Tick" 22nm
    Haswell-4th Gen Core "Tock" 22nm
    Broadwell-5th Gen Core "Tick" 14nm
    Skylake-6th(?) Gen Core "Tock" 14nm

(you are probably confusing Skylake with Silverlake, but the latter does not exist)

Atom:

Medfield/Clover Trail: Atom Z2xxx series 32nm
    Silvermont/Bay Trail: Atom Z3xxx series 22nm
    Airmont/Cherry Trail: Atom ???? series 14nm

Medfield, Clover Trail, Bay Trail, Cherry Trail is a PLATFORM(CPU/chipset and board) code-name while Silvermont and Airmont is the CORE codename. Medfield/Clover Trail uses same cores, and is based off "Silverthorne" core that came back in 2008 with 45nm Atom chips.

Yes, and maybe some small enhancements to the CPU core. The GPU is expected to have a large gain. "Willow Trail" that Eric mentioned is actually platform code-name to the successor of Cherry Trail, and it uses the "Broxton core, still on 14nm process.
    Last edited by DavidC1; 03-30-2014 at 05:14 AM.

thanks for the clarification, guys. did anyone of you see the leaked roadmap for 2014? according to this slide intel will release willow trail (core codename Goldmont(?)) this year, although we have yet so see cherry trail..

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/...014-Tablet.jpg

why would i even look at the die shrink called "cherry trail" when there's a new architecture within "willow trail" a few months later?

why would i even look at the die shrink called "cherry trail" when there's a new architecture within "willow trail" a few months later?
    I doubt that its true. If it is though there is probably a good explanation. One I can guess would be that Cherry Trail is for low-mid range devices and Willow Trail for high/very high end, so we'd have a 3-line division of Atom/Atom High end/Core.

No sane manufacturer releases replacement products a mere quarter after current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC1 View Post
    I doubt that its true. If it is though there is probably a good explanation. One I can guess would be that Cherry Trail is for low-mid range devices and Willow Trail for high/very high end, so we'd have a 3-line division of Atom/Atom High end/Core.

No sane manufacturer releases replacement products a mere quarter after current ones.
    That's not very smart. The "high-end" Atoms will eat into Intel's margins for low-power Celerons and Pentiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    That's not very smart. The "high-end" Atoms will eat into Intel's margins for low-power Celerons and Pentiums.
    No tech manufacturer is immune to resorting to such choices. Not even Apple and Samsung.

There's of course a caveat though. High-end means higher prices. Also I doubt the leaked "roadmap" is right.

thanks for the clarification, guys. did anyone of you see the leaked roadmap for 2014? according to this slide intel will release willow trail (core codename Goldmont(?)) this year, although we have yet so see cherry trail..

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/...014-Tablet.jpg

This Roadmap is nonsense, Intel doesn't use such design for their Roadmaps. If all goes well Broxton comes mid-2015. Cherry Trail is expected for November. So this could end up with a two or three quarters gap between these two.