Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Reiterates That It's Working On Wayland Support

Default i agree

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    We are not hating on their driver, we are hating on their attitude. They can't come and complain when they're working behind closed doors.
    i agree

Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd
    Since when is the Intel not as good as the Nvidia driver? Any "not good performance" comes from Intel graphics themselves being blah, not the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd
    That's not what I'm experiencing. With the blob I have massive tearing everywhere, and nothing at all changes it. With nouveau everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Since when is the Intel not as good as the Nvidia driver? Any "not good performance" comes from Intel graphics themselves being blah, not the driver.

Aggregate normalized result from the recent Iris 5100 win vs lin bench.

Just fyi the following was posted on the reddit thread [1], thought people here would find it interesting.

My employer, Red Hat, has been in close talks with NVIDIA with Wayland, and this has been brewing for a while. It's not really a secret or anything what's going on, and since Wayland has wanted to support NVIDIA, it's better they tell us now rather than in six months.

James Jones, Aaron Plattner, and the rest of the team at NVIDIA have actually been very friendly and open. We want to make sure our approach works with them, and I think everybody is happy with the relationship here.

We put together a fast plan to make Xwayland work in the short-term (we're going to support a loadable "DDX" like wf86-video-nvidia), and we're going to see if we can solve the issues that mean they have to have a DDX to bring up GLX direct rendering: it's actually backwards-compatibility for stuff that's broken by the FOSS stack. They're going to see if they can open up some of their internal testcases and tell us what backcompat behaviors they need to support, and we're going to see if we can modify the FOSS stack so these benefits are available for everyone.

And then we can build a new system that handles all of that into Xorg and Xwayland, and synchronziation in their DDX can just vanish and go away.
    [1] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...yland_support/

Quote Originally Posted by tarceri View Post
    Just fyi the following was posted on the reddit thread [1], thought people here would find it interesting.

Jup so much for "*mimimimi* NVIDIA does stuff behind closed doors in isolation and expects others to adapt to them"

Quote Originally Posted by mannerov View Post
    The discussion followed on irc (#xorg-devel), and it appeared the problem was Nvidia wanted to support very old applications doing strange things with GLX.
    The conclusion was that it was possible to support DRI3 such a way that these apps would still work, and that Nvidia would return with more
    propositions for Xwayland later.

We also talked about Wayland implementation and how they would use their EGLStreams to support the Wayland protocol,
    we talked about optimus support and a common configuration file to tell the gpu we want some apps to use.

Nothing official for sure, but be sure that things are beeing worked on.
    Don't have much to add, just wanted to thank you for adding important and relevant info to the thread which I think is getting a little too carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Jup so much for "*mimimimi* NVIDIA does stuff behind closed doors in isolation and expects others to adapt to them"
    Actually it is a good example of additional work caused by working behind closed doors or more precisely of working in secret.

If they had at least communicated their needs then changes elsewhere could have taken that into account.

But they did not, requiring an interims solution to be developed (not by them of course), and later thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    Actually it is a good example of additional work caused by working behind closed doors or more precisely of working in secret.

If they had at least communicated their needs then changes elsewhere could have taken that into account.

But they did not, requiring an interims solution to be developed (not by them of course), and later thrown away.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by tarceri View Post

"wf86-video-nvidia" is an awful name. It should be "xwayland-video-nvidia" or such.