Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Reiterates That It's Working On Wayland Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Reiterates That It's Working On Wayland Support

While their proprietary Linux graphics driver right now only supports X11-based environments, NVIDIA has talked in the past about their plans to eventually support Wayland, and they've reaffirmed their intentions this week to supporting Wayland by their closed-source Linux GPU driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL.

I know that spectators dictating FLOSS devs what to do are stupid.

But another developer doing same, and at the same time saying, but I can not explain why....

Nvidia FAIL.

(PS It seam that they will have to come up with patches to XWayland when they do have some code they can share. No big deal. Wont play with others, others ....)

Comment

I don't see why the DDX used by the open source drivers matters to nVidia.

AFAIK it is not mandated to use the 'one-and-only' Wayland DDX, rather nVidia can add Wayland support to their own proprietary DDX to be used with the closed-source driver.

Comment

Then you see why open sourcing is the way to go NVIDIA... ranting when you're working hidden in your corner is not the right path to walk in.

Comment

Open up or die! Intel go go go!

Btw AMD is not putting resouces into radeon and keeps dragging catalyst EXACTLY because of nvidia! That was mentioned by AMD themself.
          Last edited by brosis; 29 March 2014, 06:24 AM.

Comment

LoL
            "Hey, devs, it will be appreciated if you develop your open code in the manner we like, but don't ask me more details because I can't speak about them. My contribution is limited to join in the mailing list saying that your code doesn't fit our "expectation" and then disappear the second after. Thanks."

Comment

I suppose the best way forward for Nvidia is to fork the X server
              They don't provide any meaningful support for the open source drivers. Why should then the X server developers listen to them?
              Nvidia, you leech!

BTW, do they really need to write their XWayland DDX? I thought that with Glamour everything they have to do is to write the OpenGL driver and XWayland will handle this transparently (together with direct rendering when that is written).

Comment

Meanwhile at AMD....

AMD's response: HEY! WE NEED TO MINIMIZE ENGINEERING COSTS! We could TALK about how we aren't supporting Wayland, but that would take time away from our engineer who has to make sure Catalyst won't support Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                  I don't see why the DDX used by the open source drivers matters to nVidia.

AFAIK it is not mandated to use the 'one-and-only' Wayland DDX, rather nVidia can add Wayland support to their own proprietary DDX to be used with the closed-source driver.
                  I think NVIDIAs current work on XWayland aimed at a certain way XWayland would be implemented in X11. Now with the new approach which sounds great, since you no longer need a patched xf86-video-{nouveau,intel,radeon} driver it has a drawback for NVIDIA. I'd assume GLX direct rendering would be needed to have games that don't use SDL 2 work on Wayland.

I'm surprised that NVIDIA is already working on XWayland support at this point with no xwayland code merged into mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                    AMD's response: HEY! WE NEED TO MINIMIZE ENGINEERING COSTS! We could TALK about how we aren't supporting Wayland, but that would take time away from our engineer who has to make sure Catalyst won't support Wayland!
                    They are already making 2 drivers so have much higher engineering costs then AMD.
                    When they will make Catalyst userspace only they will probably have little to do to support Wayland / XWayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X