No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Reiterates That It's Working On Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The discussion followed on irc (#xorg-devel), and it appeared the problem was Nvidia wanted to support very old applications doing strange things with GLX.
    The conclusion was that it was possible to support DRI3 such a way that these apps would still work, and that Nvidia would return with more
    propositions for Xwayland later.

We also talked about Wayland implementation and how they would use their EGLStreams to support the Wayland protocol,
    we talked about optimus support and a common configuration file to tell the gpu we want some apps to use.

Nothing official for sure, but be sure that things are beeing worked on.

Comment

Once NVIDIA drivers can run Gnome on Wayland I'm going to test the **** out of both. Report all the bugs!

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        The discussion followed on irc (#xorg-devel), and it appeared the problem was Nvidia wanted to support very old applications doing strange things with GLX.
        Yeah, the Nvidia's black magic to their maximum, I guess.
        The conclusion was that it was possible to support DRI3 such a way that these apps would still work, and that Nvidia would return with more
        propositions for Xwayland later.
        It is not clear to me what that means for the Kristian's patch series currently present in the mailing list. Will be dropped because the Nvidia needs or what?
        We also talked about Wayland implementation and how they would use their EGLStreams to support the Wayland protocol,
        and?
        we talked about optimus support and a common configuration file to tell the gpu we want some apps to use.

Nothing official for sure, but be sure that things are beeing worked on.
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          It is not clear to me what that means for the Kristian's patch series currently present in the mailing list. Will be dropped because the Nvidia needs or what?
          Either they would say DRI3 is good enough for them (Xwayland would do glamor and DRI3), or they propose a way for Xwayland to call the code they need.
          Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          and?
          They would use EGLStreams in their implementation, hidden to users, to support the wayland protocol (the used EGLStreams would use the correct extensions, etc, so what we can do with wl_buffers would be allowed). But clients would have access to EGLStreams if want to work with them directly

Comment

I wonder if nVidia will delay the drop of support of the GeForce 200 series and make Wayland drivers for it.

Too bad if not.

Comment

Sometimes it feels like NVidia is taking the freedesktop developers hostage.
              They [NVidia] act confident as they know the open-source guys have to cooperate
              at some point otherwise there will be no or no best-as-possible support of the latest stuff.
              Be it Wayland or DMA-BUF Prime stuff for Optimus, etc.
              And they can do so because as of now there's no competetive open NVidia driver
              and there are lots of system out based on NVidia ASICs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels just like that.

Comment

I like that NVidia is working on Wayland already. I'm sure they are happy that the mess that is X.org will disappear. However, I hope they don't think that the FOSS community will cater to their proprietary needs.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  I like that NVidia is working on Wayland already. I'm sure they are happy that the mess that is X.org will disappear. However, I hope they don't think that the FOSS community will cater to their proprietary needs.
                  it's not about catering to their needs its about working with them to better Linux support

Comment

so much haters

nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world, good perfomance, features, etc...

with a nvidia card i know something, the things will work, not happens with intel or amd
                      We are not hating on their driver, we are hating on their attitude. They can't come and complain when they're working behind closed doors.

Comment

Working...
                      X