Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook & Others Announce WebScaleSQL

Phoronix: Facebook & Others Announce WebScaleSQL

A number of tech companies including Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, and Twitter announced WebScaleSQL on Thursday as a project that adapts MySQL to their massively bigger database needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MariaDB

Does anyone have any ideas why they forked MySQL instead of working with the MariaDB community?

Comment

Originally posted by ImNtReal View Post
      Does anyone have any ideas why they forked MySQL instead of working with the MariaDB community?
      I was wondering the same thing. Its a fork anyway, may as well fork the better product
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        I was wondering the same thing. Its a fork anyway, may as well fork the better product
        All these guys deployed MySQL for a very long time before any such forks existed and moving to a fork is very much a intrusive and expensive change even if the fork is mostly compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by ImNtReal View Post
          From their FAQ:
          Q: Why didn't you base this on MariaDB, Percona Server, Drizzle, etc....
          A: We reached a consensus that MySQL-5.6 was the right choice for this, as it has the production-ready features we need to operate at scale, and the features planned for MySQL-5.7 seem like a fitting path forward for us. We will continue to revisit this decision as the ecosystem evolves.

Comment

I checked some changes in the repo - it's not very impresive in term of features - because this fork is about performance. I hope that MariaDB developers will pick all of sensible changes from this fork and port them to Maria 10.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
              I checked some changes in the repo - it's not very impresive in term of features - because this fork is about performance. I hope that MariaDB developers will pick all of sensible changes from this fork and port them to Maria 10.
              Or rather, create a branch which is similar to this, and not mainline it into MariaDB, the reason is similar to why they don't just mainline their changes into MySQL.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                All these guys deployed MySQL for a very long time before any such forks existed and moving to a fork is very much a intrusive and expensive change even if the fork is mostly compatible.
                I don't know about the other companies, but in the case of Google, I was under the impression that Google migrated all of the data that was in MySQL to MariaDB last year. However, I would expect that the Google devs who worked on WebScaleSQL and the Google sysadmins responsible for Google's MariaDB deployments probably don't talk to each other and don't have any bosses in common.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                  I don't know about the other companies, but in the case of Google, I was under the impression that Google migrated all of the data that was in MySQL to MariaDB last year. However, I would expect that the Google devs who worked on WebScaleSQL and the Google sysadmins responsible for Google's MariaDB deployments probably don't talk to each other and don't have any bosses in common.
                  But even so they should know that they are using MariaDB. Maybe they think it is worthy enough to migrate to WebScaleSQL, since this may reduce their server loads and increase service efficiency quite a bit. In the long term, IMHO WebScaleSQL is indeed the better choice, they might not have expected this to come and therefore MariaDB might have been a bad decision considering that they will soon change their database system once again (or perhaps the MariaDB has paid off already during its short usage term).

Or probably this is all wrong, maybe they are only using this for new services? Or they might even make WebScaleSQL and MariaDB interoperable?
                  IDK, I'm not an expert in databases perhaps I can learn quite a few things from here

Comment

I don't know if Google internally use MariaDB, but YouTube does use MySQL in a non-traditional way:

In this talk YouTube Engineer Sugu Sougoumarane describes how they built Vitess in Go to help scale YouTube.Vitess is a set of servers and tools primarily de...

Comment

Working...
                    X