Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Selection 2 Open-Sources Its HLSL To GLSL Converter

Phoronix: Natural Selection 2 Open-Sources Its HLSL To GLSL Converter

Following in the steps of Valve's kind actions towards open-sourcing some components that can help out game developers in going from Windows to Linux support (and Direct3D to OpenGL), the code used by the Natural Selection 2 game to translate from Microsoft HLSL to OpenGL GLSL shaders has been opened up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

will it help wine?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      will it help wine?
      ... no.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
        How ? By dropping current DX code ?
        they could study it and learn a thing or two by both this and valve's

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
          How ? By dropping current DX code ?
          i'm guessing here, but shader converter is separate from dx probably since they are 2 different things. and shader conversion always sucked major in wine (only way to get wine on nvidia is by disabling shaders all together). maybe, now that there are 2 implementations out in the wild, wine can swap or improve their own.

Comment

I bought this came several months ago and still never really played it. On linux the performance is terrible and on Windows it crashes after about 10 minutes. Also the loading screens are waaay too slow. I'm basically just waiting for them to fix it up enough so it's playable.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              only way to get wine on nvidia is by disabling shaders all together
              What? If you mean setting UseGLSL=disabled then yes, that can be a useful option at times. But in recent versions of Wine it's now slower than having it enabled, and probably slightly less compatible. It's not really disabling shaders altogether either as far as I'm aware; it's just using a different method of achieveing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                What? If you mean setting UseGLSL=disabled then yes, that can be a useful option at times. But in recent versions of Wine it's now slower than having it enabled, and probably slightly less compatible. It's not really disabling shaders altogether either as far as I'm aware; it's just using a different method of achieveing the same thing.
                slower.... maybe. but, at least you don't suffer stuttering when using proprietary driver. with glsl enabled, trying to roll camera around is downright painful. i'm using wine 1.7.13 where i doubt things improved since then since no change was mentioned in any version release

Comment

Working...
                X