Linux 3.14 Isn't Going To Make It Into Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by werfu View Post
    Eventhough I really like Ubuntu, since their move to Unity it became clear to me that it wasn't the distribution that fitted my need. So I took the curve and learned Arch. Quite frankly I've been please with it for all my workstation. And I've moved my servers to Debian instead.
    You can use Ubuntu with other desktop environments than Unity... even out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      You can use Ubuntu with other desktop environments than Unity... even out of the box.
      Yeah I know, but my Ubuntu installs always ended up like patchwork of PPA-provided softwares. Arch really fitted me better, and I truely like the rolling release. My laptop have been running the same Arch install for about two years and I never had to reinstall clean. I had much less luck with my previous Ubuntu upgrades (too much PPAs you'd say) .

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        I don't understand the fuzz about not using 3.14. LTS refreshes were introduced for this specific reason: to enable hardware that was introduced after the release. I think it's a good thing Ubuntu is not rushing to the latest kernel. For all I know, that could destabilize the total release if this kernel is plagued by new bugs.
        I concur. For 3.14 to be included, it would have needed to be in testing a month ago. So, Ubuntu would have needed to put a very early rc in the repos, and pray that a final kernel release would happen in time for the LTS release, and also that no major regression appeared in the testing period. It would have been, simply, crazy. Anybody following kernel bug reports in any major distribution would agree, I think.

Comment

I hoped for 3.15 (to get ACPI improvements)...

they could delay the release date to start with 3.14 kernel.

Comment

I still don't understand why there is not an automatic repository for kernels in ubuntu. In the repository mentioned here each update of the kernel has to be installed manually, so I wonder why there are not a repo where the user just enable it and the kernel gets updated by its own.

Comment

What for? In 14.04 we will be able to simply hit the update button later on to get 3.14.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
                Does anyone here thinks that even LTS releases see production deployment the next day after release? It will take months if not years. So there should be no big harm in using the latest kernel if it brings tangible benefits.
                I know of at least one very large high-tech company that may start shipping Trusty on desktop as early as a month after release. I think they are very glad that 14.04 will see real regression testing and be decently stabilized _before_ actual release.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  I still don't understand why there is not an automatic repository for kernels in ubuntu. In the repository mentioned here each update of the kernel has to be installed manually, so I wonder why there are not a repo where the user just enable it and the kernel gets updated by its own.
                  I think the same.

And its true that regression testing is very important and i like that Ubuntu takes this seriously with their kernel, but in my case its just not perfect.

The optimum for 14.04 would be: I choose the unstable(vanilla) kernel release, test it for my (small) use case and get automatically updated in the vanilla series as long until the kernel-development team catches up with their stable release for 3.14.. Maybe we should file a bug request for that. Debian packages are definitivly allowing that kind of packaging.

Comment

what is point of kernel freeze in april 3 if 3.14 cannot reach even if released before 3

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
                      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule

what is point of kernel freeze in april 3 if 3.14 cannot reach even if released before 3
                      Canonical has several patches to apply them self and there are point releases (3.13.x) that they import patches from as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X