Thread: GNOME 3.12 Puts The X.Org Log In The Systemd Journal

Hybrid View

Default GNOME 3.12 Puts The X.Org Log In The Systemd Journal

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Puts The X.Org Log In The Systemd Journal

A useful tip shared by X.Org input expert Peter Hutterer is that with today's GNOME 3.12 release the GNOME Display Manager is no longer writing X.Org Server logs to the file but is being stored within systemd's journal...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0NDQ

trollfest in 3 2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hutterer
    Previously the server kept only a single backup log file around, so if you restarted twice after a crash, the log was gone. With the journal it's now easy to extract the log file from that crash five restarts ago. It's almost like the future is already here.
    Probably what I like most about this. While it doesn't happen often, sometimes there's that "oops" moment when you restart after a crash and realise you've just wiped the log you needed to troubleshoot your problem. If you know you only rebooted 'n' times since the crash, you can use 'journalctl -b -n /usr/bin/Xorg' (where n is an integer) to find all Xorg logs for that boot. Handy.
    Last edited by Nobu; 03-27-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    Probably what I like most about this. While it doesn't happen often, sometimes there's that "oops" moment when you restart after a crash and realise you've just wiped the log you needed to troubleshoot your problem. If you know you only rebooted 'n' times since the crash, you can use 'journalctl -b -n /usr/bin/Xorg' (where n is an integer) to find all Xorg logs for that boot. Handy.
    I don't remember how many times I rebooted, but it was a friday or monday and full moon.. is there an option for journalctl to find that? I think it is a valid use case and such option needs to be added.
    And I always restart everything 3-4 times after a crash. And debugging crash that happened 3 years ago on another xorg/drivers is my hobby ))
    Last edited by Stellarwind; 03-27-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellarwind View Post
    I don't remember how many times I rebooted, but it was a friday or monday and full moon.. is there an option for journalctl to find that? I think it is a valid use case and such option needs to be added.
    And I always restart everything 3-4 times after a crash. And debugging crash that happened 3 years ago on another xorg/drivers is my hobby ))
    Well now you can centralize all logs and configure that for all. Why keep logs from other stuff longer and discard the ones from xorg sooner?

As a matter of fact, you can, as systemd logs keep the timestamp of the log (and you can search by that), and you can rotate/backup log databases as you see fit (if you want to keep longer log history). You can compute separately all friday and monday that happened at full moons, cycle in you backup logs, and find all unsuccessful termination of xorg on said days.

Funny how your stupid and snarky example is actually feasible without too much effort.

I don't understand. Is systemd a requirement for Gnome now or what? My educated guess would be no, since Gentoo still can run it, but I'm a bit confused.

You seem to be asking if there's a way to search by other parameters like the date, and yes you can do that. You can AND/OR together any set of search switches including --since and --until, which take a date specification.

(I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and not assuming that you're a troll, unlike the previous replies.)