The Very Exciting GNOME 3.12 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    In Sid there are some packages from 3.12 and they coming more now (but some goes first in experimental of course)... but for testing who knows that needs to be in good shape and tested first

So you can try Debian sid+experimental right now if you want to see most parts of Gnome 3.12 .
    It will depend on the Jessie roadmap and when they freeze. It looks like 3.10 is going to be skipped in the same way Debian skipped 3.6. If we are lucky 3.12 will be in testing before the freeze and then it will stay that way for a long time. I see little chance in 3.14 being adopted at all given Debian's update history, with 3.16 being next into Sid in 18 months time.

Of course that is all just a guess. If you want new versions quickly then switch to Arch. Just try it in a virtual machine or spare machine as there is a learning curve for Debian users.

In the mean time I am happy enough with 3.8 on testing. I have tried the newer versions through experimental and Arch, but in the end Gnome Shell does not change that much and newer versions have less extensions available as it takes a while for extension authors to catch up. We have to go through the systemd change and then Wayland. My testing "just works" and that is good.

Comment

Anyone know where the Gnome 3.12 ppa is? Is this it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Anyone know where the Gnome 3.12 ppa is? Is this it?

https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          XFCE is probably the only sane one, but it seems to be dead...
          I seriously hope not. I think it's dormant since the XFCE devs are not thinking about reinventing the entire interface with each version.

However, the mailing list archive's are dead (chromium says it redirects too much), blogs are not that alive and the last forum announcement was last year... hmmm :/

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            How comes this gnome 3 excitement recently? In its early day this site was more than critical w.r.t to gnome 3.

Gnome 3 still sucks. But I guess the fact that it's the only DE that can be useful on high dpi changes the game.
            Yeah, because tons of linux users need hidpi support. Real game changer here.

Comment

Best thing about GNOME 3.12 is the improved Wayland support, which unfortunately is still not done.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                fantastic fonts rendering, which distro they used?
                You're being sarcastic, right? Font rendering is probably the worst thing in Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                  You're being sarcastic, right? Font rendering is probably the worst thing in Gnome.
                  That is a silly thing to claim. Font rendering is managed by fontconfig which is DE neutral. It can however be distro specific since some distros patch fontconfig or tweak the default settings in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    That is a silly thing to claim. Font rendering is managed by fontconfig which is DE neutral. It can however be distro specific since some distros patch fontconfig or tweak the default settings in some way.
                    What is really silly is showing a DE with such a poor rendering all the time. If a better one is available (and it definitely is), not using it is beyond silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                      What is really silly is showing a DE with such a poor rendering all the time. If a better one is available (and it definitely is), not using it is beyond silly.
                      Font rendering is a personal preference. Pretending as if your opinions are universal doesn't help with the conversation at all. "Better" is subjective. Learn to accept that.

Comment

Working...
                      X