The Very Exciting GNOME 3.12 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
    fantastic fonts rendering, which distro they used?
    Fedora 20 has improved font rendering by default compared to Fedora 19. On other distros you'd simply install infinality freetype patches or use freetype2-ubuntu.

Comment

I've been dabbling with gnome a little bit myself and I personally really like it. Some of these changes seem really nice. I don't think i'd ever use it for my main PC (too many restrictions), but it's still a great platform. People seem to hate it for the same reason they hate Windows 8 - the name implies you're getting a similar product to the predecessor, but it functions different enough that it angers people who can't handle change. Also, gnome is a lot better for touchscreens. Note that I'm primarily a KDE and XFCE user.

Comment

I'm generally a bigger fan of gnome shell than the average linux user but in this case I was actually surprised by how many impovements had gone under the radar only to pop up in the release notes.

Pardon the cliche but this is comfortably the best gnome release in a while.

Comment

At this point, GNOME, KDE and Unity are all very usable and quite good to me.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea when GNOME 3.12 might be released for Arch Linux?

Oh, I can't wait...

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              Does anyone have any idea when GNOME 3.12 might be released for Arch Linux?

Oh, I can't wait...
              Usually it moves to [ŧesting] within a handful of days and can basically installed but will be released to [extra] about 2 weeks later to make sure the transistion is smooth.
              There are already 3.12 apps in the [gnome-unstable] repo, which is kind of a staging repo.

Comment

Ah, okay. Maybe I could upgrade to testing since I really like having all the latest software that I could have in my Arch Linux box. I don't mind bugs at all -- maybe unless it gets way too severe.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Ah, okay. Maybe I could upgrade to testing since I really like having all the latest software that I could have in my Arch Linux box. I don't mind bugs at all -- maybe unless it gets way too severe.

Thanks.
                  I'd take a quick look at the testing forum just to see what people are running into- many times you won't run into any issues unless there's a big change, like when we started switching to systemd. Honestly, you tend not to get insane bugs, but the dependency chain is what you have to watch out for. Switching back to the core repos from testing can be problematic sometimes.

Like blackout said, most of GNOME 3.12 is in the gnome-unstable repo, which tends to be your best bet for trying new releases early. The only major package I'm not seeing there right now is the Shell, so it's likely you'll be able to take a look at that soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    How comes this gnome 3 excitement recently?
                    It'll be the first major DE to run natively on Wayland.

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    I guess the fact that it's the only DE that can be useful on high dpi changes the game.
                    Is it? I've heard Plasma became quite good at this as well. (My display is not HiDPI, so I can't tell.)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Is it? I've heard Plasma became quite good at this as well. (My display is not HiDPI, so I can't tell.)
                      Yes, Both GNOME and Plasma are doing pretty well although at this point GNOME does have more of the kinks worked out. Intel provided some hardware to GNOME developers which really helped. Some of it is just adding quirks when hardware provides misleading info about its own capabilities but unfortunately that is a common occurance and quirks needs to be added regularly. Thankfully many of the workarounds get pushed down to kernel or udev which Plasma can take advantage of, as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X