Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fedora 21 Will Likely Make Java 8 The Default Runtime

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,429

    Default Fedora 21 Will Likely Make Java 8 The Default Runtime

    Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Likely Make Java 8 The Default Runtime

    The latest Fedora 21 feature being talked about that will likely happen for this next Linux distribution release is shipping Java 8 as the default Java run-time environment...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0Mzk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Having a stick-in-the-mud is not a valid reason to keep maintaining old software. If somebody needs/dependson an older version, they really should pick a different distro, not the one that really pushes the limits. Enterprise Linux, for example, has BOTH OpenJDK 1.6 **AND** 1.7 in default repos. Seems to me like a better option for anyone who "depends" on it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL 32304
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Having software depend on older versions of software is jut asking for trouble when it comes to taking advantage of vulnerabilities in software being so popular.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Having software depend on older versions of software is jut asking for trouble when it comes to taking advantage of vulnerabilities in software being so popular.
    While true, that doesn't mean that upgrading is free or painless. Since it was released last week, I've tried upgrading our application to Java 8, but had to revert due to issues - a mix of techstack components (IDE, app server) not yet supporting Java 8, and some third-party library that was doing some kind of version check to enable or disable features (and which treated 8 as unrecognised and old).

    All of those issues can be fixed with time and effort, but until they're fixed, Java 8 just isn't an option yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Enterprise Linux, for example, has BOTH OpenJDK 1.6 **AND** 1.7 in default repos. Seems to me like a better option for anyone who "depends" on it.
    It's not a question of what's in the repos - it's a matter of what the default is, what you get when you run "java" from a command line, or when you run Java-based applications from the desktop.

    And for "enterprise" development (i.e at work), I don't use distro packages for Java anyway... I use specific versions downloaded off Oracle's site, and installed under /opt...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    It's not a question of what's in the repos - it's a matter of what the default is, what you get when you run "java" from a command line, or when you run Java-based applications from the desktop.

    And for "enterprise" development (i.e at work), I don't use distro packages for Java anyway... I use specific versions downloaded off Oracle's site, and installed under /opt...
    For what it's worth, the whole Java is obsolete on desktop. Legacy apps only use it. Mono starts up much faster and LLVM provides faster code gen. Also for browser JS is really good. So, Java is not really needed anymore.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    It's not a question of what's in the repos - it's a matter of what the default is, what you get when you run "java" from a command line, or when you run Java-based applications from the desktop.
    Actually, it is just a matter of having both installed. Then you select which to use at runtime.

    And for "enterprise" development (i.e at work), I don't use distro packages for Java anyway... I use specific versions downloaded off Oracle's site, and installed under /opt...
    Hurrah for the NSA!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caligula View Post
    For what it's worth, the whole Java is obsolete on desktop. Legacy apps only use it. Mono starts up much faster and LLVM provides faster code gen. Also for browser JS is really good. So, Java is not really needed anymore.
    mono is definitely not an option for ANY SANE person AT ALL.
    java is somewhat related, but there are some major important packages that depend on it, like eclipse.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,162

    Default A disappointment that Java 8 is still lacking

    Still no collection initializers, still getter/setters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •