Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone Raven RVZ01

Phoronix: SilverStone Raven RVZ01

When opening the box to the SilverStone Raven RVZ01 there is a disclaimer printed on the packaging in multiple languages about being a "unique product" and recommending users first reading the included manual. This statement isn't just some marketing verbage to build up hype or purchasing confidence in the product, but with being able to accommodate up to a 13-inch PCI Express graphics card and four drive bays within this petite mini-ITX chassis, it truly is a unique product. Today at Phoronix we're looking at SilverStone's Raven RVZ01 mini-ITX chassis, the SFX 450W ST45SF-G power supply, and SST-CP11 SATA cabling for building a great Linux HTPC or your own Steam Machine/Box Linux gaming system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like a very nice design for a full system with user interchangeable parts. But cheapo laptops and the little brick systems really make these specialty systems. Ahh, the old days...

Comment

With a lowpower-mainboard without a dedicated GPU, I have no doubt that you didn't run into any thermal constraints. Would be more interesting to see what happens when the 450W power supply is maxed out.

Sweet case for a HTPC. Steambox depends on the cooling. For a home server, I'd like a second (or third) 3.5" HD slot and room for a second NIC.

Comment

Those cables aren't braided...

This is a braided cable.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
          Looks like a very nice design for a full system with user interchangeable parts. But cheapo laptops and the little brick systems really make these specialty systems. Ahh, the old days...
          I've got one of the "little brick systems" and let me tell you... This would be a godsend for an HTPC. Throw an AMD Kaveri APU in there (not now, wait until the A4/A6/A8 comes out so you have a lower thermal threshold) and you've got a machine that can decode AND encode any DvD or BluRay you want and thats easily upgradable in the future. If it supports it, watercool it and use an SSD or a 5400rpm hdd and you have a dead quiet addition to your home theater setup.

Its actually ironic that Michael did this article since I was just up on pcpartpicker throwing together an htpc build for later, and I picked THAT case.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Damn such a nice case
            I was waiting for it to hit the market for some time now.
            To me it's the case which comes the closest to the 300 beta Steammachines. I'm pretty sure cooling is no issue thanks to the 3 big fans.

Comment

I'm wondering, can you put mATX inside? It seems from the picture that there is plenty of space if you don't need one fan and the rest of the PCI slots (and you would have to use MB with PCIe in the first slot)...

Comment

No one commented on the drive mounting areas? What do you think of the 3.5" HDD area/location (on the other side of the psu)? Won't it be warm there? I'm just curious because I just noticed articles on this case today and read the review here. I read on one review by a buyer of this case complain about the temps at the psu area (on the metal on the other side). I have a spare HDD 3.5", 1TB that I'd like to include in any future case but not sure about that location. The SSD ones look fine, however.

Comment

Working...
                X