Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial XWayland Support Looks To Land In X.Org Server 1.16

Phoronix: Initial XWayland Support Looks To Land In X.Org Server 1.16

It looks like with the X.Org Server 1.16 release this summer there might finally be XWayland support for providing legacy X11 support within Wayland environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About time

About time!
    Wish we had XWayland merged long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      About time!
      Wish we had XWayland merged long time ago.
      Then we would potentially have been stuck with a different, potentially inferior implementation that the X server would also have had to support for eternity.

Comment

So what's the difference between xf86-video-wayland and xf86-video-wlglamor?

Would I just install one of those alongside the closed source nvidia driver and add something to xorg.conf?
        Woudl this also replace xf86-video-nouveau for the open source NVIDIA stack?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          So what's the difference between xf86-video-wayland and xf86-video-wlglamor?

Would I just install one of those alongside the closed source nvidia driver and add something to xorg.conf?
          Woudl this also replace xf86-video-nouveau for the open source NVIDIA stack?
          only replace your cureent driver in Xorg.conf with wlglamor since xf86-video-wayland-git is software only last time i tried, i know in mesa works peachy for intel and all radeon cards but not sure about nvidia closed or open

Comment

Good news, hope this goes will.

Comment

There is no need for xf86-video-wlglamor or xf86-video-wayland.

Now there's a XWayland binary (instead of beeing in Xorg), and it doesn't need anything external.

The current patches implement the xf86-video-wayland part, and soon it would integrate glamor too.

Comment

Although the GLAMOR approach seems easier, it's a pity that we'll lose all the awesome SNA work done in the intel driver, which in all benchmarks was miles ahead of everything else (including GLAMOR, although those were older versions).

Comment

I find it ironic that when there is no need for xwayland support in DDX, xf86-video-vmware gets released with XWayland and XMir support ...

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                    Although the GLAMOR approach seems easier, it's a pity that we'll lose all the awesome SNA work done in the intel driver, which in all benchmarks was miles ahead of everything else (including GLAMOR, although those were older versions).
                    Eric believes that GLAMOR can be optimized enough that it will actualsurpass SNA's per-generational hand tuning.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X