Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 3850 temperature (?) problems

Hello,

stress-testing the new Nexuiz release on my rig makes my system with a HD 3850 have nice X freezes (or black screens) on Ubuntu 8.04 x86-64.

Booting into windows I noticed I can easily push the gfx card to 92?C without the gfx card fan speeding up audibly (and without crashing). On Linux I once got it to sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner, so I guess the card may get even hotter with fglrx.

Dumb question: Is there a tool for Linux to read the gfx card temperature? It may be the temperature, it may be some unrelated fglrx-specific thing, but without sensors I just can't tell. I find it rather disappointing that the catalyst control center doesn't offer thermal monitoring (the last card without sensors I had was a Nvidia FX5200...) - but then again there may be bigger issues.

No temperature sensors available for ATI cards yet. Sensor support on fglrx has been promised, so maybe in the next couple of releases we will see something.

Comment

Now, that's a pity. "Next couple of releases" could be years! ;-)

Comment

It _could be_ a couple of years before temp reporting is included, but new driver releases have been pretty regularly forthcoming at roughly one a month. Most cases you could print the changelog on a matchbook, but they've been releasing new versions as promised.

Comment

I've disassembled parts of aticonfig a while back and found some hidden options.
          Some of them were temperature related. Most things didn't work here but my card is pretty old. It's also possible that some things have changed in the meantime

Comment

i just tried

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"

on my 2600pro, and i seems to work. 28? when idling, 37? with glxgears. all while compiz is running.
            so it seems, that it shouldnt be a neckbreaking task to implement this into amdccc.

Comment

Originally posted by ig-88 View Post
              Oh, that's something I shall try once home. Thanks!

Comment

i just tried

on my 2600pro, and i seems to work. 28? when idling, 37? with glxgears. all while compiz is running.
                cool .. so it actually works. I'm just getting an error back.

so it seems, that it shouldnt be a neckbreaking task to implement this into amdccc.
                I wouldn't bother amd with that ..neither with queries about that pplib stuff, they probably have their own plans. The functionality is already there at least.

Comment

Yeah, the pplib functions work great on supported cards (which as far as I can tell is the HD series). There's all sorts of info to be had from the various options.
                  Last edited by uncle_fungus; 13 May 2008, 08:24 AM.

Comment

It seems to work on my HD2900XT as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X