NVIDIA Just Announced A New ARM Board I Really Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
    Ehh thats 32bit arm processor, where would you need that much of ram. Hopefully there will be second edition with more ram and denver 64bit processor, which can actually use more ram. Well vga would be plus, but not mandatory, there are 20? hdmi-to-vga adapters out there.
    I forgot that K1 is still 32bit...as for HDMI to VGA adapters, the problem is to find some that actually works as it should....not always happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Yeah, Quad A15, 2GB RAM, Mini PCIe, SATA, HDMI out, and USB3... That could make an awesome SFF system for light duty purposes and might even work out as a playback-only htpc front-end with some non-playback capabilities as well.
      Should? If an NVidia supplied board can't do HTPC duties it is pretty worthless.

The big problem with this board, from a hackers perspective, is the limited I/O. Here I'm talking digital and analog that would allow use in the same way a Raspberry PI might be used. More detailed specs might resolve exactly what is available on the platform but right now it doesn't look like a cheap LinuxCNC solution.

I hate to say this but for the price I'd be expecting a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        I forgot that K1 is still 32bit...as for HDMI to VGA adapters, the problem is to find some that actually works as it should....not always happens.
        That is certainly the truth!

There seems to be a lot of excitement here and on other forums over this board but honestly it seems to be a bit expensive for what you get. Atom and AMD BRAZOS based boards offer a better balance of I/O for less cash.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

There seems to be a lot of excitement here and on other forums over this board but honestly it seems to be a bit expensive for what you get. Atom and AMD BRAZOS based boards offer a better balance of I/O for less cash.
          Enter AMD Kabini and AM1 socket...for 100 bucks you get a MoBo AND and APU !!!

...add 8GB RAM at 1600MHz , a LC-Power case like the LC-1340MI or LC-1350MI, an 1TB 2.5'' HDD and you spend marginally more than 200 bucks and have a full-featured HTPC/NAS/LightSTeamOS machine !!!

...and have VGA, HDMI , DVI, a buch of USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectors and even Serial and Paralel connectors !

Look to these :

All Solid Capacitor design; Supports AMD Socket AM1 Athlon/Sempron APU; Supports DDR3 1600 memory, 2 DIMM, Max. 32GB; 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 1 mini-PCIe; Integrated AMD Radeon™ R3 Series Graphics in A-series / E-series APU; Multi Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort 1.2; 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear), 6 USB 2.0 (4 Front, 2 Rear), 4 SATA3; Two Power Input Options : 1 DC-In Jack, 1 24 pin ATX Power Connector; Realtek Gigabit LAN; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec); Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, A-Tuning, FAN-Tastic Tuning, UEFI Tech Service, APP Shop, USB Key

All Solid Capacitor design; Supports AMD Socket AM1 Athlon/Sempron APU; Supports DDR3 1600 memory, 2 x DIMM slots, Max. 32GB; 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16; Integrated AMD Radeon™ R3 Series Graphics in A-series / E-series APU; Multi Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI; 1 x Parallel Port, 1 x COM Port Header; 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear), 6 x USB 2.0 (4 Front, 2 Rear), 4 x SATA3; Realtek Gigabit LAN; 5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec); Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, A-Tuning, APP Shop, FAN-Tastic Tuning, UEFI Tech Service, USB Key

Michael needs to get one of these MoBos for test drive

Right in 1st half of April these "beasts" and the APUs will be out...

The A6-5350 seems very promising and eat Intel low range for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I think people are forgetting this nvidia board is a board for _development_. Admittedly, a nice one at that with its quite extensive and useful ports (I am actually sort of surprised the chip supports SATA natively, though probably not SATA III), but it is not intended to make a good SFF PC or anything like that.
            Compared to atom/kabini boards which are intended for that, it's not really all that great. Sure the gpu is faster (compared to the faster Kabini versions not all that much) and the cpu is at least competitive but it can't deny the chip was intended for smartphone/tablets (Kabini at least offers two SATA III ports).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              Ehh thats 32bit arm processor, where would you need that much of ram. Hopefully there will be second edition with more ram and denver 64bit processor, which can actually use more ram.
              This chip uses Cortex-A15 cores which have LPAE, much like PAE on x86. So it can access more than 4GB of RAM, even though each process still has a 32-bit virtual memory space. It could be a good server if you run lots of processes that don't need huge amounts of RAM. It also has virtualisation support, so you could use it to host virtual machines.

A lot of us are waiting for affordable 64-bit ARM boards though.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                Enter AMD Kabini and AM1 socket...for 100 bucks you get a MoBo AND and APU !!!

...add 8GB RAM at 1600MHz , a LC-Power case like the LC-1340MI or LC-1350MI, an 1TB 2.5'' HDD and you spend marginally more than 200 bucks and have a full-featured HTPC/NAS/LightSTeamOS machine !!!

...and have VGA, HDMI , DVI, a buch of USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectors and even Serial and Paralel connectors !

Look to these :

All Solid Capacitor design; Supports AMD Socket AM1 Athlon/Sempron APU; Supports DDR3 1600 memory, 2 DIMM, Max. 32GB; 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 1 mini-PCIe; Integrated AMD Radeon™ R3 Series Graphics in A-series / E-series APU; Multi Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort 1.2; 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear), 6 USB 2.0 (4 Front, 2 Rear), 4 SATA3; Two Power Input Options : 1 DC-In Jack, 1 24 pin ATX Power Connector; Realtek Gigabit LAN; 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec); Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, A-Tuning, FAN-Tastic Tuning, UEFI Tech Service, APP Shop, USB Key

All Solid Capacitor design; Supports AMD Socket AM1 Athlon/Sempron APU; Supports DDR3 1600 memory, 2 x DIMM slots, Max. 32GB; 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16; Integrated AMD Radeon™ R3 Series Graphics in A-series / E-series APU; Multi Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI; 1 x Parallel Port, 1 x COM Port Header; 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear), 6 x USB 2.0 (4 Front, 2 Rear), 4 x SATA3; Realtek Gigabit LAN; 5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec); Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, A-Tuning, APP Shop, FAN-Tastic Tuning, UEFI Tech Service, USB Key

Michael needs to get one of these MoBos for test drive

Right in 1st half of April these "beasts" and the APUs will be out...

The A6-5350 seems very promising and eat Intel low range for lunch
                Yeah, the Athlon 5350 looks like a decent chip, 2Ghz quad Kabini w/ 128 GCN shaders @ 600Mhz. It's only fault is the single channel memory controller.

I wonder how it will compare with the A4-7300(Kaveri based) slated to come out some time in Q2.

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
                  This chip uses Cortex-A15 cores which have LPAE, much like PAE on x86. So it can access more than 4GB of RAM, even though each process still has a 32-bit virtual memory space. It could be a good server if you run lots of processes that don't need huge amounts of RAM. It also has virtualisation support, so you could use it to host virtual machines.

A lot of us are waiting for affordable 64-bit ARM boards though.
                  That, or you could, yah know, buy AMD's 64 bit ARM Cortex-A57 based Seattle series Opterons http://community.amd.com/community/a...tle-processors
                  Last edited by Kivada; 27 March 2014, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    That, or you could, yah know, buy AMD's 64 bit ARM Cortex-A57 based Seattle series Opterons http://community.amd.com/community/a...tle-processors
                    Yeah that will be better for servers, any word of pricing and has it any kind of gpu(devboard does not seem to have video outputs, it has pcie ports though)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      Yeah, the Athlon 5350 looks like a decent chip, 2Ghz quad Kabini w/ 128 GCN shaders @ 600Mhz. It's only fault is the single channel memory controller.

I wonder how it will compare with the A4-7300(Kaveri based) slated to come out some time in Q2.
                      I'm not sure but it will be *at least* as good and possibly *better* than a A4-7300....in fact, compared with a A6-5400K, with turbo off and iGPU OC to 800MHz, it's a pretty decent option.

The CPU itself in those circunstances is same in WEI (i use WEI because the test bellow in this post).
                      Sure, graphics is worse but still pretty good.
                      Notice that a A6-5400K with iGPU OC at 800MHz, 192 shaders, 8GB RAM at 2133MHz (instead of 1600MHz in the test bellow) gets a graphics WEI of 6.7 (with old driver that came in CD with my MoBo) to only 6.3 with most recent AMD blob....6.3 in comparison to 6.1 is not bad at all taking in account circunstances.

Single Channel is not that bad....i saw comparisons of games playing in SC vs DC and many games the difference is 5% or at most 10%....you ould be surprised with amount of AAA games that actually are NOT optimized to work in dual channel.

To have an idea how would be a A6-5350 , chec kout this review of a A6-5200....

...and another test....

Noticed also they also tested it paired with a GTX680 and conclusion was...no real difference to a A10-6800K paired with a GTX680 ! (both using 1600MHz RAM)...and then notice the diference in power drain of both sytems with the APUs paired with a GTX680

I might be wrong , but AFAIK, the A6-5350 is a A6-5200 using a AM1 socket instead of be soldered to MoBo and with more 50MHz of CPU clock....
                      Last edited by AJSB; 27 March 2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X