Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: Features To Look Forward To In GNOME 3.12

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finalzone View Post
    Disagree because the desktop experience is still present but less distracting. It seems familiarity and habit from traditional desktops play factors on your preferences. I know engineers and software developers who daily Gnome Shell without problem because it improves their productivities.
    That's an assumption about my preferences that I don't really agree with. I try many new things. I don't even mind Unity and I've ran Gnome Shell for awhile. Gnome is much different than the traditional desktop and it clearly has its own workflow in mind. I can make Gnome work with a few extensions, but I don't work as well with Gnome as it currently is constructed as I do with other desktops. Just because I don't like how Gnome flows doesn't mean I'm stuck in my ways.

    And as anecdotal evidence goes I could cite many people who don't like touch in Gnome because it A) doesn't provide a compelling alternative in the form factor they are using or B) people don't like touching their screens and getting them dirty.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I don't think popovers are a phenomal new GTK innovation but yeah it is a minor but nice feature to have. As to the general target, refer to

    http://www.linux.com/news/software/a...12-and-beyond/

    "Matthias: Our primary target is laptops and desktops"

    You are wrong about the idea that popovers aren't enabled unless there is a touch screen. It is just a regular widget and there are tons of modern desktops and laptops being sold which are touch enabled. This along with high def screens are what a lot of people end up buying these days and since they already use touch screens on their mobile phones and tables, it is a natural way of working for them say for zooming into a picture or swiping off apps. I used to be pretty sceptical about this till I tried it out on a regular basis. Even if you are not using touch screens, the focus on them often ends up helping mouse and especially trackpad users since they have a larger surface target and it is easier to navigate even if the trackpad is a bit too sensitive or you are older person with less fine grained motor control.
    My apologies, I was referencing this article:

    https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014...-now-popovers/

    The darker "cut/copy/paste" popover style in the article is not enable by default as per the comments.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    Fixed.

    Don't post your own opinion as a fact. I am a hard core desktop user and I found Gnome Shell to be the most suitable for me.
    No, it was correct as wrote it. Please don't change my words to suit the reply you want to post. I was talking about the traditional desktop experience sans touch and perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. Gnome is clearly not that desktop. They have crafted a new experience which is distinct in many ways from the traditional desktop experience especially with the focus on touch. That's fine and I have no problem with that, I was simply pointing to the number of stories and comments out there where people state that Gnome's difference from the traditional desktop doesn't suit them as it doesn't suit me. It does suit many people, such as yourself, and that's cool.

    Also don't attempt to reprimand me for something I didn't do. I said, "I, like many others, think this is a bad move" with the implication that this is my opinion and not a fact. If you assumed it was a fact, then that was the error as I made no attempt to pass it off as anything more than a viewpoint that has been echoed in the Linux community that I happen to share.

    Have a nice day.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman View Post
    My apologies, I was referencing this article:

    https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014...-now-popovers/

    The darker "cut/copy/paste" popover style in the article is not enable by default as per the comments.
    That is not true either. I am using the darker popover style in GNOME Notes for several months now. It is enabled by default. Nothing specific to touch screens.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Haha. I loved that one. GTK gives Gnome the opportunity to do design driven development and add niftfy features. Popovers happened in a couple of months. KDE can't do anything like that. Just look at the slooooow migration to Qt5 and the decoupled KF, SC and plasma.

    Why pick a commercial CLA tool kit when you can have your own much more suitable tool kit with a sane API?
    At least you make some sense now. However, more and more projects are switching from Gtk to Qt which isn't so good for Gnome. It will be harder to keep things in consistent state and less people will learn Gtk. I'd really like to see Gnome OS that's Linux focused and more usable for me. I never cross out something forever. If KDE and Qt will mess things up I can switch to Gnome OS.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman View Post
    No, it was correct as wrote it. Please don't change my words to suit the reply you want to post. I was talking about the traditional desktop experience sans touch and perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. Gnome is clearly not that desktop. They have crafted a new experience which is distinct in many ways from the traditional desktop experience especially with the focus on touch. That's fine and I have no problem with that, I was simply pointing to the number of stories and comments out there where people state that Gnome's difference from the traditional desktop doesn't suit them as it doesn't suit me. It does suit many people, such as yourself, and that's cool.

    Also don't attempt to reprimand me for something I didn't do. I said, "I, like many others, think this is a bad move" with the implication that this is my opinion and not a fact. If you assumed it was a fact, then that was the error as I made no attempt to pass it off as anything more than a viewpoint that has been echoed in the Linux community that I happen to share.

    Have a nice day.
    Well, I am sorry for the wrong accusations. I didn't mean to; I just couldn't phrase my thoughts correctly. So, let me fix it:

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman
    I understand that Gnome is targeting this type of form factor, but I, like many others, think this is a bad move and it takes away from the desktop experience I prefer.
    Fixed.
    Don't think of your own experience as THE desktop experience.
    By the way, I don't have a touch screen. I use Gnome Shell with a keyboard and a mouse.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    The dumbed down baloo search stuff is a major feature regression. You can pit that against the tracker improvements and search accelators for Gnome-Shell.
    Even if there were actually any user-facing features removed, which there wasn't, that is grand total of one, and it is only looking at KDE. If you are going to do a comparison, you actually have to compare, not just point to one example from one side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    You might want to check out the release notes for Gnome 3.12.
    Again, looking at just one side isn't a comparison. But you know that, you just are dodging the questions because you know you were spouting B.S.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Gnome didn't remove anything like this. So Gnome wins.
    First, again, no user-facing features were removed with baloo. Second, in case you forgot what you wrote, it was:

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton
    Q: How many features did Gnome remove?
    A: Fewer than KDE.
    In order to show that, you actually have to count the number of features.

    Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    Well I did read the last couple of release notes for KDE, and they were boring and didn't provide anything like the new stuff in Gnome 3.12. You might as well just admit that it is a long time since KDE made a decent release.
    Again, you said, and I quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Honton
    Q: How many features did Gnome add?
    A: A ton more than KDE.
    Again, this is a quantitative comparison, which means you actually have to show numbers, not just point out that it is your opinion that Gnome features are more interesting.

    Of course you can't do that, because you know it isn't true.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I love gnome 3.12. It looks simple,intuitive and consistent. I hate complex ui design(excessive buttons and menu options,full of rarely used,half-finished features,etc.) and too much customization for users.The only thing that perplexes me is GTK+. GTK+ is buggy and its development is too slow compare with QT.
    Last edited by hooluupog; 03-27-2014 at 05:39 AM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    @TheBlackCat: Just put that moron on your ignore list, we all know that he is intentionally lying and that no rational discussion is possible with that troll. Why feeding him, just ignore him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •