Thread: Ubuntu 14.04: Intel's Haswell Linux Driver Comes Up Short Of Windows

Default Ubuntu 14.04: Intel's Haswell Linux Driver Comes Up Short Of Windows

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04: Intel's Haswell Linux Driver Comes Up Short Of Windows

In complementing the recent Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 and MacBook Air: OS X 10.9 vs. Ubuntu 14.04, here's some new Windows vs. Linux OpenGL benchmarks with this time looking at the performance for Intel's "Haswell" Core i7 4770K with HD Graphics 4600 using the latest driver releases on Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20068

Again, Unigine Heaven 4.0 and Valley 1.0 don't work with Mesa/Gallium (on any driver) due to application bugs, not driver issues. I believe that Unigine has long since fixed those bugs, but (at least so far) hasn't released updated versions of those demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
    Again, Unigine Heaven 4.0 and Valley 1.0 don't work with Mesa/Gallium (on any driver) due to application bugs, not driver issues. I believe that Unigine has long since fixed those bugs, but (at least so far) hasn't released updated versions of those demos.
    I and others have had them running on Radeon Gallium3D - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYxNTk

Michael - more people use win7 than win 8. Please include it in future benchmarks. Thanks,tomme

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I and others have had them running on Radeon Gallium3D - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYxNTk
    But that doesn't mean or prove that it's not an application error, Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    But that doesn't mean or prove that it's not an application error, Michael.
    I know, but I am saying it works there when Kayden said it didn't work with other drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomme View Post
    Michael - more people use win7 than win 8. Please include it in future benchmarks. Thanks,tomme
    Too time intensive / too little ROI to test both. For PTS I have more commitments around Windows 8 support so I use that.

Too time intensive / too little ROI to test both. For PTS I have more commitments around Windows 8 support so I use that.
    The benchmarking differences between 7 and 8 are negligible anyway. Either or is plenty good enough, the other is always within +/- 5 fps at the worst on anything.

Right...apparently Gallium drivers don't support the GL_ARB_sample_shading extension yet. If they did, you'd have the same total-white-screen issue you see on i965.

I'm still surprised Valley works. It tries to do dual source color blending without specifying which pixel shader outputs correspond to color 0/color 1 (which OpenGL requires them to do), so the only way it could work is if the driver ignores what they said and guesses, which is pretty much a 50/50 chance. I believe Unigine fixed that bug some time ago, but hasn't released updated Heaven/Valley demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
    Right...apparently Gallium drivers don't support the GL_ARB_sample_shading extension yet. If they did, you'd have the same total-white-screen issue you see on i965.

I'm still surprised Valley works. It tries to do dual source color blending without specifying which pixel shader outputs correspond to color 0/color 1 (which OpenGL requires them to do), so the only way it could work is if the driver ignores what they said and guesses, which is pretty much a 50/50 chance. I believe Unigine fixed that bug some time ago, but hasn't released updated Heaven/Valley demos.

I just found out after reading your answer that the gallium driver does not support the extension GL_ARB_sample_shading. Looks like I have a lot to learn here