Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three New Tweaks I Like In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Three New Tweaks I Like In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

In my usage of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in its late development state on my new main production system, the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA, there's three new system setting additions to Unity in this newest Long-Term Support release that I've found to be really useful and welcomed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of the downsides of the new locally-integrated menus is that it removes the option of having window controls on the right. Canonical does love to toy with us.

Comment

Some other Ubuntu 14.04 LTS changes that I am enjoying outside of the settings realm and on the packaging side of things include its shipping of Mesa 10.2-devel
      why, oh why you keep writing that? This is the third news where you write this, and it's the third time it's been proven wrong.

Comment

Copy and paste.

Comment

I wasn't aware the package had been deleted; I don't see every comment on the forums, hence why email fix/error reports are usually the best, but this article has been updated now, thanks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

am waiting for final release and install ASAP.

lots of welcome changes

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              One of the downsides of the new locally-integrated menus is that it removes the option of having window controls on the right. Canonical does love to toy with us.
              Well, is that really such a bad thing? It's not ideal, but there's not really an advantage to putting the window controls on the right side, in the context of Unity. Once the window is maximized, the familiarity is gone and the change counters past experience inside that same DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
                Well, is that really such a bad thing? It's not ideal, but there's not really an advantage to putting the window controls on the right side, in the context of Unity. Once the window is maximized, the familiarity is gone and the change counters past experience inside that same DE.
                Maybe it's just force of habit but my mouse pointer tends to stay on the right side of the window since that's where the scrollbar is.

Either way, it's just one less configurable preference which seems to be the direction Linux DEs are going these days.

Comment

There is also a "click to minimize" feature that is "unsupported" and provided as is. It can be activated from CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Unity plugin button

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Maybe it's just force of habit but my mouse pointer tends to stay on the right side of the window since that's where the scrollbar is.

Either way, it's just one less configurable preference which seems to be the direction Linux DEs are going these days.
                    So just change your habits? Just a week of getting used to... Consistency over personalization.

Comment

Working...
                    X