Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Linux Things I Learned From AMD At GDC 2014

Phoronix: Other Linux Things I Learned From AMD At GDC 2014

The two most interesting things I learned from AMD at the Game Developer's Conference last week were already covered on Phoronix: they're looking at a new Linux driver strategy with an open kernel driver for Catalyst and they are still evaluating the feasibility of Mantle on Linux, but there were also some other random things I learned from various AMD employees...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I managed to run PerfStudio under wine so it is doable to use it on linux.

Comment

"AMD Catalyst Linux Legacy driver releases aren't to be maintained for new Linux kernel and X.Org Server releases, due mainly to engineering costs."
      Even now with their new strategy? because they would have to maintain only the user-space in the legacy driver, and then the problems with newer kernels would not be something to worry about anymore, as I read in the preceding amd article:
      "If the Catalyst closed-source driver was isolated to user-space, there wouldn't be these issues with regard to Linux kernel fragmentation, having the need for a compiler to be present on the local system, and there wouldn't be any incompatibility issues with new Linux kernel releases."
      Probably the "engineering costs" would be kept even in this new situation. Afterall, the r600 free driver is close in performance.

Comment

gamers use intel/nvidia
        amd cpu/gpus are all crap

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          I also asked various AMD representatives about the release notes for Catalyst Linux releases that are non existent or terribly incomplete. The common theme of the response was "the cost of the engineering time" and then posing the question whether Linux users would like to see more bugs and features worked on rather than proper release notes. It doesn't look like much will change on this front.
          If at AMD the people who dig through SCM logs and write the release notes are the same who actually do the programming, AMD is in a worse state than I imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
            gamers use intel/nvidia
            amd cpu/gpus are all crap

Comment

Who cares about potatoes that can't even do 1080p?

Comment

- I also asked various AMD representatives about the release notes for Catalyst Linux releases that are non existent or terribly incomplete.
                Which says quite a lot about their workflow. If their engineers cannot write comments to commits in their revision system(s), that means they have all sorts of regressions and hidden bugs all the time.

Luckily I've always chosen NVIDIA GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Most of the gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Also the PS4 outputs 1080p on every game I've seen so far. Its the xbox one that cant do 1080p because Microsoft skimped out on the RAM.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X