Linux 3.15 Should Suspend & Resume Much Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by startzz View Post
    Maybe obviously, because i TESTED IT and i know what im talking about ??? lol ...
    Lol indeed. Why did I even bother...

Comment

Man, my n280 netbook with a 5400rpm hd Hibernates in 20 seconds and wake-ups in 10 seconds under arch and it loads a 1GB image.
      Having a full kde desktop with caches and buffers preloaded on such a poor hardware in ten seconds is really something.
      Last edited by kokoko3k; 24 March 2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
        Man ,we're talking about seconds, sometime even less than two seconds to complete standby and resume.
        Nothing too exciting, but still nice.
        Seconds matter when we're talking about UI and user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
          Nope, after disabling quick shutdown, win8 boots still faster than linux, not to mention, that windows loads at least 10 times more data in the same or less amount of time
          That's nonsense. When Linux reaches the desktop, everything is loaded and running already and system is 99% idle. When Windows reaches the desktop, user thinks its available for use, but it's still doing so many things in the background, hard drive is grinding away and CPU usage is pegged. Trying to start any applications at that time is an exercise in frustration. XP is particularly horrible about this (good riddance to it). Windows is dishonest, "lying" to the user about its state of readiness. You have to give Windows a minute or two after reaching the desktop before you can use it, to let it complete all its background processes.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            That's nonsense. When Linux reaches the desktop, everything is loaded and running already and system is 99% idle. When Windows reaches the desktop, user thinks its available for use, but it's still doing so many things in the background, hard drive is grinding away and CPU usage is pegged. Trying to start any applications at that time is an exercise in frustration. XP is particularly horrible about this (good riddance to it). Windows is dishonest, "lying" to the user about its state of readiness. You have to give Windows a minute or two after reaching the desktop before you can use it, to let it complete all its background processes.
            Not sure if this was brought up, but if FastBoot is enabled then the BIOS skips a fair bit of Hardware Init because it knows Windows can handle it. Linux doesn't support FastBoot (AFAIK) so the BIOS has to do hardware Init, then Linux has to re-do hardware init thus lengthening boot
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Not sure if this was brought up, but if FastBoot is enabled then the BIOS skips a fair bit of Hardware Init because it knows Windows can handle it. Linux doesn't support FastBoot (AFAIK) so the BIOS has to do hardware Init, then Linux has to re-do hardware init thus lengthening boot
              I know on my board if I enable fastboot the firmware just skips init as well and rests in a kind of sleep state. I can get immediate kernel post that way. It doesn't interact with the kernel at all but it does improve boot times.

But really, you can't blame linux for shit firmware. Fuck you Intel for not supporting coreboot and shoving the EFI crap down our throats.

Comment

Working...
              X