Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Still Looking At The Feasibility Of Mantle On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Is Still Looking At The Feasibility Of Mantle On Linux

This week when at the Game Developer's Conference one of the topics that many Phoronix readers wanted me to find out more about was in regards to AMD's Mantle API being supported on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mantle was announced last year as a closer-to-hardware graphics API to complement OpenGL and Direct3D.
    Does Mantle complement OpenGL and Direct3D or completely replace them?

I was under the impression it was a complete replacement API rather than an extension for existing APIs?

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
      Does Mantle complement OpenGL and Direct3D or completely replace them?

I was under the impression it was a complete replacement API rather than an extension for existing APIs?
      It replaces them. I think by compliment he meant it in the idea of "This is a new thing coming in to compete with the existing things." Technically you CAN use 'compliment' there, but a clearer phrasing would have been to use "compete".
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I can't see the point in Mantle, it only seems to be making a difference in rigs with crappy CPUs (or rather APUs). It seems to be focused on use cases where the CPU is the bottleneck, which is hardly ever the case. If you've got a pimped out gaming rig then it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I can't see the point in Mantle, it only seems to be making a difference in rigs with crappy CPUs (or rather APUs). It seems to be focused on use cases where the CPU is the bottleneck, which is hardly ever the case. If you've got a pimped out gaming rig then it doesn't seem to make much difference.
          GPU processing power has been accelerating exponentially faster than that of CPUs for a long time. This means with each new generation of hardware even the fastest CPUs will increasingly become more of a bottleneck.

SLI configurations already deliver impressive gains under Mantle, even on top end Intel processors; come the next GPU generation this is likely to be representative of single card performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
            GPU processing power has been accelerating exponentially faster than that of CPUs for a long time. This means with each new generation of hardware even the fastest CPUs will increasingly become more of a bottleneck.

SLI configurations already deliver impressive gains under Mantle, even on top end Intel processors; come the next GPU generation this is likely to be representative of single card performance.
            SLI, as in the Nvidia technology that lets you connect two (or more) Nvidia GPU's together? Gains under Mantle? Source?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              "There is no point in optimizing software, just use high end hardware"
              Yeah ... okaaaaay

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                SLI, as in the Nvidia technology that lets you connect two (or more) Nvidia GPU's together? Gains under Mantle? Source?
                I think he meant crossfire

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                  He means Crossfire and he's right it does benefit greatly from Mantle since SLI/Crossfire is easily bottlenecked by the CPU even if you have a Haswell i7. Pretty much everyone overclocks their i7 to 4.5 GHz to get more out of their SLI/Crossfire setup.

AMD's Mantle is finally ready to break cover and we've got got performance figures to cover a range of scenarios, from multi-GPU configurations to ultra-mobile devices. Is this the leverage AMD has needed to break free from Intel and Nvidia?

Also even on a Single GPU setup with a R290X and Core i7 you'll gain more performance in CPU intensive scenarios like Multiplayer. It's not true that Mantle only shines with crap CPUs.
                  Last edited by blackout23; 23 March 2014, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Also Mantle allow for ditching basic SLI technique in which alternate frames are rendered on both GPU's.

Now game devs can assign different task to different GPUs (So weaker GPU from APU may just render smog for content rendered on dGPU... etc.)

Also orchestrating work of SUB GPU units is something we do not have yet in OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                    X