AMD Is Exploring A Very Interesting, More-Open Linux Driver Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Exploring A Very Interesting, More-Open Linux Driver Strategy

Phoronix: AMD Is Exploring A Very Interesting, More-Open Linux Driver Strategy

This week I was out at the Game Developer's Conference not with a focus on games but to learn about some changes they AMD currently pursuing for their Linux driver model. If this new Linux driver model goes through, the Catalyst Linux driver will be more open, but it's not without some risk. Read more in this Phoronix exclusive story.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great story! That's what I'm looking for when checking out Phoronix every day.

Comment

This is some really interesting news, and not something I expected at all. I think it sounds like a pretty good plan, though honestly I think it'd be perfectly fine to make the FOSS drivers keep up with catalyst and then just ditch catalyst altogether.

I'm really happy AMD is putting this much attention and effort into Linux. They'll eventually become the most recommendable graphics solution if they keep it up.

Comment

Personally, I think that most of Michael's concerns are not as problematic as it sounds like, and that this approach is very much doable (and beneficial due to no more duplication of work and the merge of existing features in both kernel drivers).

Really exciting stuff.

Comment

Excellent article Michael!

Comment

In the interest of transparency, AMD sponsored the Phoronix trip to GDC 2014 in order to meet-up and talk about their Linux plans.
            AMD dont give cards (hopefully in future send cards as nvidia) but help with your trip cost, very impressive AMD

Hopefully AMD continues put attention on phoronix

Good article

Last edited by pinguinpc; 22 March 2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              AMD dont give cards...
              In fairness, we did send a Kaveri system. Not a "card" technically, but it is hardware
              Test signature

Comment

Great article, Michael!

This comes totally unexpected, indeed.

Besides the risks, this sounds exciting! I just love people and companies
                that are brave enough to rethink their previously made decisions.
                AMD were among the first to release detailed (and useful) programming
                docs for GPUs and this might be another groundbreaking thing.

Comment

If they manage to do that, it would be great.

They would benefit from recent and incoming features to the Radeon DRM kernel driver: Primes fds, dma-buf fences, etc.
                  And it would become much easier for Wayland support.

Also I think it would be easier for them to have enduro support like on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    In fairness, we did send a Kaveri system. Not a "card" technically, but it is hardware
                    bridgman - I figure you have a unique perspective due to having worked with the open source driver for quite a while. How do you feel about this development? What are your thoughts on having a Catalyst user space interacting with the open source radeon DRM?

One of the things I took from the article it sounds like Michael had concerns in AMD possibly needing to rework parts of the DRM component of the open source driver to interact with Catalyst down the track and this potentially being an issue being accepted upstream if changes become extensive. Do you think this could be an issue?

Any other comments on the article?

Comment

Working...
                    X