Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Ubisoft Is Playing With Linux & Xen Virtualization

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,130

    Default Ubisoft Is Playing With Linux & Xen Virtualization

    Phoronix: Ubisoft Is Playing With Linux & Xen Virtualization

    Ubisoft, the massive video game publishing and development studio, has been busy playing with Linux. In particular, exploring opportunities presented by Xen virtualization with regards to VGA pass-through as a means of decent gaming performance in a virtualized environment. A discussion began in the Phoronix Forums yesterday about Ubisoft's Xen VGA pass-through demo...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY2NA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Does this mean that Ubisoft is going to compete against OnLive?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    60

    Default

    I know that team, I used to work 3 building away from it. They use a -lot- of OpenSource stuff there. They have python/scons clusters, in house IDE based on SharpDevelop, they use OpenSource gaming engines like Ogre+Lua to prototype new tech, even come to our local Linux meetup from time to time if they need to get info about some "cool new tech" from our world.

    French Canada (Montréal and Québec city) studios tend to be more open to new ideas and technologies than others. It's why many new franchise and created here. But those tech rarely get out of the R&D labs. They are used internally to check viability.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    145

    Default

    <head blown>

    That is awesome. I wonder how seamless they can make the experience. Would be great if clicking a launcher on the linux desktop just executes a command in your windows VM and starts your game fullscreen and you never see the Windows desktop.
    Last edited by leif81; 07-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    811

    Default

    > UBIsoft puts up 2 VMs on Linux showing a demo...
    Aaaand what does that mean for Linux? Linux gaming? I'm just asking.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    > UBIsoft puts up 2 VMs on Linux showing a demo...
    Aaaand what does that mean for Linux? Linux gaming? I'm just asking.
    Nothing at all really. It just shows some Ubisoft experiments. No less, no more.

    Unless your one of those guys from the forums who whishes to virtualize win xp on a Linux machine. In that case you can see that even with Xen it still has a massive overhead and isn't a very good experience.

    And I still don't get why people would want that. If you care so much about gaming that you would virtualize Windows for it then you might as well just dual boot or buy a console...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Unless your one of those guys from the forums who whishes to virtualize win xp on a Linux machine. In that case you can see that even with Xen it still has a massive overhead and isn't a very good experience.
    How did you estimate the overhead if you don't know how fast it would have run without Xen? That's right, you didn't, you just made up some bullshit.
    And in the video, one can in fact see that it works perfectly well.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    And I still don't get why people would want that. If you care so much about gaming that you would virtualize Windows for it then you might as well just dual boot or buy a console...
    That's a really dumb question. I just don't want to reboot every time I want to check my emails while playing something. And I also want to be reachable via VoIP while playing, without having to install a client under Windows, which I use only for games.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Anyone seen any work on passing through only the nvidia card in a optimus setup? That'd be rrrreally cool.

    Don't know if it's technically feasable though, considering both cards have 1 output.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    That's a really dumb question. I just don't want to reboot every time I want to check my emails while playing something. And I also want to be reachable via VoIP while playing, without having to install a client under Windows, which I use only for games.
    Well that at least has an easy answer nowadays — get a smartphone. Looks like the guy had some fun anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Wow, that's really cool. I'm suddenly really interested in trying Xen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •