Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

Hybrid View

Default Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

Phoronix: Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"

When at the Game Developer's Conference one of the leading questions from Phoronix readers via our forum was to find out about any Linux plans by Ubisoft...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzOTI

Does that mean: Ubisoft is trying to develop a linux DRM?

Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux? Last time I bought an Ubisoft game it came with their shitty DRM. The same day I bought it they decided move their DRM servers which made any game using their DRM unplayable. It took them almost a week to get it back up and running. I've already written them off. I refuse to buy any of their modern content. They claim they are dropping DRM but I can't believe it after the all the work to put into locking all their stuff down with such atrocious DRM in the past.

Ubisoft have some interesting titles, but usually poor code quality and of course the annoying DRM. They need to fix this if they want my money again. Even if they release Linux games.

Quote Originally Posted by migizi View Post
    Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux?
    Assassin's Creed Unity

The Division: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dORoTIEOyEg

Watch_Dogs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuAbH8Z8iwk

You don't want Ubisoft games on Linux because they use DRM... But Steam is a DRM too guys...

Quote Originally Posted by berillions View Post
    You don't want Ubisoft games on Linux because they use DRM... But Steam is a DRM too guys...
    It is DRM with value added. Ubisoft attempted to replicate Steam, but ended up creating a poor, unstable clone. Who needs a Steam clone when you're already running Steam? Nobody.

The issue isn't DRM, it's stupid DRM. Origin, Uplay, and other ones are really, really frustrating and actually deter people.
    Look online for BF3 or BF4 Origin issues.

Not all DRM is created equal. Steam's terms are quite agreeable.

Ubisoft and EA's DRM is by no means acceptable and this shows in the sales data of titles available on Steam, Origin and UPlay. Given the option Steam pretty much always makes up the lion's share of the copies sold, with some data showing Steam selling more copies then all other shops combined.

Quote Originally Posted by migizi View Post
    Why would we want Ubisoft on Linux?
    Two words: Rocksmith 2014. It already has a mac port, and is the easiest/best way to learn electric guitar. Hell I'd buy a third full copy just to play it on Linux.