Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Tegra K1 Is Wonderfully Powerful, Efficient

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Tegra K1 Is Wonderfully Powerful, Efficient

During the Game Developer's Conference this week I had some hands-on time with a NVIDIA Tegra K1 device...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tegra K1 could make some really nice tablets.

What I would like to see is a single-board computer though, to run as a server with ARMv8 64-bit cores.

Comment

While the Kepler graphics core is capable of OpenGL 4.3, the NVIDIA representative I spoke with said it will be up to Google to decide what OpenGL version the Tegra K1 will officially advertise by their binary driver.
      Sure it's capable of OpenGL 4.4, which is backward compatible with OpenGL 4.3. Too bad those devboards usually costs arm and leg, I would be interested to see raspery pi like cheapish board with tegra k1.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        What I would like to see is a single-board computer though, to run as a server with ARMv8 64-bit cores.
        I'd really like a SBC too. But this first "version" of the K1 uses Cortex-A15 cores, not Nvidia's Denver cores that implement ARMv8.

Comment

Sweet. Also can't wait for the Denver/Maxwell combo at 16n FinFET (2 process improvements from current one). It's going to be epic. I think we'll definitely 1 Tflops in it, or maybe even 1.2, just so they can say that after K1 was already as powerful as Xbox360, the new chip is already as powerful as Xbox One, a year later

Comment

Watts up (like on Eurosport)

Not quite sure about the performance/watt of this thing. Charlie has a flamboyant and pompous style and can be quite annoying (for the company scrutinized, I always have fun reading) when he really wants:

Just before CES, Nvidia announced Tegra5 aka K1 in T40/A15/Logan guise complete with their normal specious set of numbers.

Remember when SemiAccurate said the Nvidia Tegra K1 was a hot dog promoted by complicit ‘journalists’?

And he is usually right. Now, that's really annoying.

Comment

Working...
            X