Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

Phoronix: Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

Today at the Game Developer's Conference was an interesting session with OpenGL developers from Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA jointly talking about reducing OpenGL driver overhead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD's changing Linux strategy doesn't tell us much. They change their minds when it comes to Linux support every six months.

Comment

i agree

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
      AMD's changing Linux strategy doesn't tell us much. They change their minds when it comes to Linux support every six months.
      i like to see they supporting more and more opensource driver... and what about mantle? another fail?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        i like to see they supporting more and more opensource driver... and what about mantle? another fail?
        there is no point in mantle on linux. right now, their opengl is still subpar and i would prefer them fixing that 1st and then add another unfinished layer. adding subpar mantle which would be probably beta until 2019 would just add to bugs on amd unless you prefer having buggy gl+beta mantle

Comment

i don't care

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          there is no point in mantle on linux. right now, their opengl is still subpar and i would prefer them fixing that 1st and then add another unfinished layer. adding subpar mantle which would be probably beta until 2019 would just add to bugs on amd unless you prefer having buggy gl+beta mantle
          i don't care about mantle =D

Comment

I'd rather see some consistent behavior from them. It doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, I just want them to make up their minds already.

Comment

hm!

I'd rather see some consistent behavior from them. It doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, I just want them to make up their minds already.
              i give up from amd gpu long time ago, they have the worst support! and its not only in linux side, at least radeon r600 is in good shape for old apu's

Comment

What are you talking about? Their open source drivers have had consistent support for well over six months, and soon to be an entire year of consistent improvement. It's a lot better than what NVIDIA is doing.

Comment

i give up from amd gpu long time ago, they have the worst support! and its not only in linux side, at least radeon r600 is in good shape for old apu's
                  Yet it is the GPU of choice for BitCoin mining and a number of other GPU compute uses.

I'd be the first to admit AMD has had driver issues, but it looks like they have seen the open source light and have effectively made it possible for anybody to write drivers for their hardware. On the other hand they have put together a very unique program which ought to make GPU far more interesting.

Comment

one problem!

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Yet it is the GPU of choice for BitCoin mining and a number of other GPU compute uses.

I'd be the first to admit AMD has had driver issues, but it looks like they have seen the open source light and have effectively made it possible for anybody to write drivers for their hardware. On the other hand they have put together a very unique program which ought to make GPU far more interesting.
                    they need to put better support in opensource driver, more people working like intel do, in my opinion they need to forget fglrx driver and put all resourses in radeon

Comment

Working...
                    X