Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,138

    Default Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

    Phoronix: Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

    Today at the Game Developer's Conference was an interesting session with OpenGL developers from Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA jointly talking about reducing OpenGL driver overhead...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzODY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    AMD's changing Linux strategy doesn't tell us much. They change their minds when it comes to Linux support every six months.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    250

    Default i agree

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    AMD's changing Linux strategy doesn't tell us much. They change their minds when it comes to Linux support every six months.
    i like to see they supporting more and more opensource driver... and what about mantle? another fail?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    i like to see they supporting more and more opensource driver... and what about mantle? another fail?
    there is no point in mantle on linux. right now, their opengl is still subpar and i would prefer them fixing that 1st and then add another unfinished layer. adding subpar mantle which would be probably beta until 2019 would just add to bugs on amd unless you prefer having buggy gl+beta mantle

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    250

    Default i don't care

    Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    there is no point in mantle on linux. right now, their opengl is still subpar and i would prefer them fixing that 1st and then add another unfinished layer. adding subpar mantle which would be probably beta until 2019 would just add to bugs on amd unless you prefer having buggy gl+beta mantle
    i don't care about mantle =D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    i like to see they supporting more and more opensource driver... and what about mantle? another fail?
    I'd rather see some consistent behavior from them. It doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, I just want them to make up their minds already.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    250

    Default hm!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    I'd rather see some consistent behavior from them. It doesn't matter if it's negative or positive, I just want them to make up their minds already.
    i give up from amd gpu long time ago, they have the worst support! and its not only in linux side, at least radeon r600 is in good shape for old apu's

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
    AMD's changing Linux strategy doesn't tell us much. They change their minds when it comes to Linux support every six months.
    What are you talking about? Their open source drivers have had consistent support for well over six months, and soon to be an entire year of consistent improvement. It's a lot better than what NVIDIA is doing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    i give up from amd gpu long time ago, they have the worst support! and its not only in linux side, at least radeon r600 is in good shape for old apu's
    Yet it is the GPU of choice for BitCoin mining and a number of other GPU compute uses.

    I'd be the first to admit AMD has had driver issues, but it looks like they have seen the open source light and have effectively made it possible for anybody to write drivers for their hardware. On the other hand they have put together a very unique program which ought to make GPU far more interesting.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    250

    Default one problem!

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Yet it is the GPU of choice for BitCoin mining and a number of other GPU compute uses.

    I'd be the first to admit AMD has had driver issues, but it looks like they have seen the open source light and have effectively made it possible for anybody to write drivers for their hardware. On the other hand they have put together a very unique program which ought to make GPU far more interesting.
    they need to put better support in opensource driver, more people working like intel do, in my opinion they need to forget fglrx driver and put all resourses in radeon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •