No announcement yet.

Canonical Posts New Unity 8 Mir Compositor Demo Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also see crashing of Unity 7 very, very rarely and I have my PC running for dozen hours. I'm currently using Trusty (development branch) of Ubuntu which I upgraded to from 13.10 in the first week of 2014 and Unity 7 crashed only once (in this period of time).

I have a bad habit of opening websites and not closing them so I end up with about 90 tabs open in Chrome all the time this results in very high RAM usage. Usually all my RAM is used and then about 1 GB swap. This doesn't bother Unity 7.

As for your points:

1 - you got used using each window in full screen mode, ? la windows

No the only windows which I have maximized are that of web browsers and LibreOffice all the rest is at normal size.

2 - you are turning off you computer regularly, so unity is refreshed

I'm turning it off after a day of use.

3 - you do not use libreoffice for real productivity work

I'm using LibreOffice very rarely so I don't know how it behaves but seriously I don't believe that it crashes the whole Unity. Maybe you see the apport window the one that is used for reporting bugs.

Comment

Add me to the list of people that think Unity 7 is pretty terrible at stability by Linux standards. It's pretty normal by Windows standards, but I don't think that's a bar Linux should strive to meet.

It's particularly craptastic on 13.10 when using Crossover and MS Office apps, but it's got problems with all open source apps too. And if you're using a laptop with AMD chipsets? It pretty much turns your laptop into a hot nearly unusable paperweight. Don't even think of trying to run Youtube full screen.

I'm pretty sure not ALL of that is purely the fault of Ubuntu nor Unity (maybe very little?), but that's my hardware/OS combo and the current experience is less than good.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
        Add me to the list of people that think Unity 7 is pretty terrible at stability by Linux standards. It's pretty normal by Windows standards, but I don't think that's a bar Linux should strive to meet.

It's particularly craptastic on 13.10 when using Crossover and MS Office apps, but it's got problems with all open source apps too. And if you're using a laptop with AMD chipsets? It pretty much turns your laptop into a hot nearly unusable paperweight. Don't even think of trying to run Youtube full screen.
        I'm Unity 7 with Ubuntu 13.10 user, using Office2007 via Crossover, one or two Virtualbox virtual machines with XP, Firefox browser, Thunderbird mail, Skype while listening to music with Rhythmbox... No one single Ubuntu/Unity crash... Regard the resizing of windows... I think old Unity versions had that problem... Now the resize spot is fairly big for me... (I7, 12Gb Ram, 1Tb disk, Nvidia 650Ti with propietary drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post

I'm pretty sure not ALL of that is purely the fault of Ubuntu nor Unity (maybe very little?), but that's my hardware/OS combo and the current experience is less than good.
          i'm currentely under windows 7 and it's more stable then all linux distros that i'd tried
          not a single system crash

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_ST View Post
            - if you want to select a window, for instance to resize it, then if is a pain to be precise enough to have the mouse cursor at the correct position. The mouse is often offset by some pixels
            No, I have about 10px that I can grab to resize , which is plenty and more than average.
            - if you use regularly libreoffice for working, to produce reports, create presentations, then I see a lot of time unity crashing, this is very freaking, especially when time constraints render this crashes unfortunate
            Never happened to me.
            - if you start to use a window and move it a little bit, then at some point it will get maximized or will cross the border to the other desktop, and you start to demand where the main window is
            It will be maximized if you drag it above the panel, not else. And do you have any other reason to drag the window above the panel?
            If you don't know where you have putted your windows, you shall probably not use multiple screens.
            Also everyone else behaves the same.
            - not telling that the update manager does not show on top when you click on it ...
            I agree that the update manager is stupid, it shall put only a small notification that I can click on if I want.

2 - you are turning off you computer regularly, so unity is refreshed
            I have a pc/server that I never turn of and it ain't crashing either.
            3 - you do not use libreoffice for real productivity work
            Well I'm a programmer so I typically use IDEs but I do use libreoffice for writing reports and charts.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
              No, I have about 10px that I can grab to resize , which is plenty and more than average.
              Yes, probably enough, but the position of it is not sharp, it is offset in the sense that the corner is taken from the window shadow and not the window corner itself. Moreover using different combination of hardware and free/proprietary drivers, this problem is more or less sensible.

Never happened to me.
              Well I'm a programmer so I typically use IDEs but I do use libreoffice for writing reports and charts.
              Talking about libreoffice, this happens really often using libreoffice impress, if you are not seeing, that may be the reason. This really happens frequently, I think I could find a scenario really easily to reproduce it, again if I find time.

It will be maximized if you drag it above the panel, not else. And do you have any other reason to drag the window above the panel?
              No, really not. Just do the experience: open a window (a terminal for instance), do not maximise it, and move to a second virtual desktop. To go back to the original window, click on the dash icon. At at certain point your window will start to move by itself, or start to be split amongst multiple desktops, and blam you're done.

To be probably more generic, I could probably formulate it the other way: if you have one window crossing multiple desktops (for instance you just move one window a little and it starts to overlap between two virtual desktops), then its bbehaviour starts to become erratic concerning its position.

If you don't know where you have putted your windows, you shall probably not use multiple screens.
              I have one only screen.

Also everyone else behaves the same.
              I agree that the update manager is stupid, it shall put only a small notification that I can click on if I want.

I have a pc/server that I never turn of and it ain't crashing either.
              I had the same issue yesterday again: when logged in, try to go to the console (ctrl+alt+F1) and then back: the system seems to be frozen ...
              If you can connect from another computer, then you see that Xorg is using 100% CPU, it is not able to handle this vt switch. This is not the whole system per se, but this behaviour is really a pain.

A as sidenote, I'm not really a developper but a researcher which uses this computer daily for more than 15 years for doing research. I have to use Ubuntu since I'm not the administrator of the machine, and I have limited power on my system, so I keep going with Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS ...

I've used many distributions in the past, including Fedora, Mandriva, Mint, Debian, openSUSE, ... and I have never encountered such iodiosyncratic behaviours using the WM they provided, even in GNOME 1 and before, or KDE 1 and after.

I'm using on a regularly basis 3D rendering for viewing molecules, and there the system crashes (I mean Xorg + proprietary drivers). Not everything is related to Ubuntu + Unity itself, but I see those crashes happening more regularly using Unity.

The issues observed in third-party applications (libreoffice for instance) were not observed in the past using other distributions.

This is not FUD, only facts I am encountering. If time permits, I will submit a detailed article on this to Michael, since for a more advanced usage than "developping", some aspects are really weird using Ubuntu.

Last, I have written more than 50 articles on distributions in a paper magazine, so concerning performances and drawbacks, I can put figure on words (search for me at http://www.linuxidentity.com/ ).

Comment

It makes me actually consider getting a tablet and installing Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                X