Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The Debian 8.0 Jessie Installer Alpha 1

Phoronix: Trying Out The Debian 8.0 Jessie Installer Alpha 1

With the first alpha release yesterday of the Debian 8.0 installer back when I was briefly in the office, I decided to try out the updated installer and packages for this next Debian release that's under the Jessie codename...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The next issue encountered was the 802.11n WiFi not working from within the Debian installer. Network adapter issues with Debian aren't too uncommon during setup, particularly due to the distribution's conservative approach about including binary blob firmwares for the hardware. For those unfamiliar with the Debian firmware state, see the project's Wiki page.
    If you want non-free firmware you could download Isos with firmware?
    I hope the follow ups will cover more about the standard set of programs. Im not happy with Gnome 3, but less popular Environments usually have to include alot of GTK/QT/KDE apps for completeness and will look less homogenous than a homepage of a 13 year old which discovered font attributes and LSD at the same time.

Comment

The installer still doesn't use native screen resolution (it never did)...

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        If you want non-free firmware you could download Isos with firmware?
        I hope the follow ups will cover more about the standard set of programs. Im not happy with Gnome 3, but less popular Environments usually have to include alot of GTK/QT/KDE apps for completeness and will look less homogenous than a homepage of a 13 year old which discovered font attributes and LSD at the same time.
        The unofficial "firmware" image doesn't actually include alll firmware.. The Broadcom wifi for example, which is necessary to install on many modern laptops.

I expect the default desktop will be changed. XFCE has problems with tearing on Intel laptop chipsets, and it doesn't look likely that it will be fixed anytime before Wayland becomes standard. I doubt that Debian will want to base a stable release on a desktop that can't even do hidpi or flicker free window drags or video, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          The installer still doesn't use native screen resolution (it never did)...
          It didn't on Wheezy but does on Jessie afaik. But it's still not good, because the installer does not support hidpi, so the font is ridiculously small and will be unusable for people with poor eyesight. (Having said that, I don't know why Michael's installer seems to be non-native resolution)

Comment

Working...
          X