No announcement yet.

It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question to CD Projekt Red. What are their plans about Linux support in their games?

Comment

An update on the progress of porting Mantle and TrueAudio over to Linux and if they will be implemented into the FOSS drivers.

These are both key features which would help elevate AMD's APU into an ideal cost effective Steam Machine.

Comment

A question to Nvidia guys

With the rise of linux gaming, Nvidia is gonna have new customers on the gaming segment.
        In that regard, what is the Nvidia's roadmap concerning a complete Optimus support on Linux ?

Comment

Steam Bridge support

Does Valve know Steam Bridge project and would like to support it in near future for non linux games available in native linux steam?

Comment

DRM on SteamOS? Steam has already CEG DRM but many games add their DRM junk on top and in some case they make changes to the system. With SteamOS Valve will be responsible for the full software stack, what is their policy with "alien" DRM and in general games tampering with the core system? Is Valve going to enforce system consistency or they'll let games modify the system at will?

In the AMA Gabe said "[...]and is now leading us to make Steam a self-publishing system.". As mobile stores teach this also means self-published malware, what is Valve plan to make SteamOS safe, software auditing? sandboxing? containers? Is Steam on Win/Mac/Linux(not SteamOS) going to be equally secure or people should start to worry about what they install? (that not only means trusting the seller but also trusting the safety or their dev environment)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I too want to know this. I'd also like to know if games will be built around wayland, what to do about existing games built around X, and if the graphical server even matters when it comes to fullscreen games.

@log0:
              I'm sure AMD will have no reason to update their catalyst drivers once the open source drivers have officially obsoleted them. Removing support for catalyst as of right now would be a seriously poor decision on their part. Also, I'm not sure if the open source drivers have any support at all for AMD's workstation GPUs. I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've never heard of anyone trying a fireGL/firePro on the open source drivers.
              The open source driver works great with my FirePro card:
              Code:
              $ lspci|grep VGA
              05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman LE GL [FirePro V5900]
              Code:
              $ glxinfo|grep OpenGL
              OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
              OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAYMAN
              OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.1
              OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
              OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
              OpenGL core profile extensions:
              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1
              OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
              OpenGL context flags: (none)
              OpenGL extensions:
              I do wish that the OpenCL support was further along in the open driver so that I could play around with it, but that will come soon enough..

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                An update on the progress of porting Mantle and TrueAudio over to Linux and if they will be implemented into the FOSS drivers.

These are both key features which would help elevate AMD's APU into an ideal cost effective Steam Machine.
                This seems to be their last statement about Mantle:
                ?But right now we?re doing a feasibility study to determine how and when to bring Mantle to Linux. Regardless of the trajectory, you can see our efforts to support it. AMD cards got added to the main SteamOS build this January, and we?re making a load of contributions to the Linux kernels to improve power management, performance, features, all that good stuff. We take the SteamOS movement very seriously.?
                (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...of-leadership/)

So, reading between the lines, they don't plain to bring Mantle to Linux anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                  This seems to be their last statement about Mantle:

(http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...of-leadership/)

So, reading between the lines, they don't plain to bring Mantle to Linux anytime soon.
                  yes but mantle is usefull only for gcn cards...

by the way is there a way to use physx cards to join phisic!?
                  Last edited by Azrael5; 20 March 2014, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Will Steam Controller API be GPL-compatible?

I would like to know if the Steam Controller API will be GPL-compatible, per my long rant here: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5258

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post

+1

Like to have Mantle and TrueAudio on Linux in both the proprietary drivers and the FLOSS drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X