Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

Phoronix: It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

It's been one heck of a week already for Linux gamers with so many pro-Linux announcements during the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, but now it's time to get more of your Linux questions answered...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to know about linux porting of legacy games as alone in the dark, tomb raider trilogy, warhammer 40k, splinter cell, homeworld 2,... in modern graphical way.

Comment

I'm just waiting (while taping my foot) for blizzard to start porting, even if they would to start with hearthstone wich should be an easy port.

Comment

Will AMD join the effort of getting the mesa stack up to date? Corect me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me most of the new opengl upbringing is done by intel devs. Seeing collaboration at least there would be very nice ('at least there' because with intel refusing gallium and llvm there isn' much else to collaboarte on...). Don't get me wrong, I love what amd is doing.

WIll nvidia finally join the nouveau party? I'm sick of their buggy driver... (very specific usecase, but nouveau handles it, blob doesn't; go figure)

Any plans for valve to work with the nine state tracker (push it upstream), ship a custom wine and bring older games to linux?

Serafean.

Comment

Does anyone know if the OGL conf will be livestreamed? Or maybe liveblogged?

Comment

How is the effort put towards problems with that mostly affect (competitive) fps gaming?
            • Latency comparison Windows/Linux for audio/video/mouse/network etc
            • How stable is the performace? i.e. microstuttering, the difference between the average and minimum fps.
            • What is already solved and what is yet to be addressed?

Comment

I also would love to know whether AMD would consider focusing more on the open source driver, maybe even switch to it as the official linux/unix driver and drop the blob.

PS:
              Have been working on some OpenGL code recently which runs just fine with Mesa(AMD and Intel hw) but falls apart on Catalyst, prefer currently Mesa over any other OpenGL implementations tbh, even if it only offers GL3.3+
              Last edited by log0; 20 March 2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                I would like to know about linux porting of legacy games as alone in the dark, tomb raider trilogy, warhammer 40k, splinter cell, homeworld 2,... in modern graphical way.
                THIS!!!!! +TR2013

maybe question if crytec is only providing SDK on linux or they plan on native tools too

Comment

Any plans for valve to work with the nine state tracker (push it upstream), ship a custom wine and bring older games to linux?
                  Pretty much this with a small addition: Is there any reason Valve don't repackage DOSBox based old games for Linux and make them available on steam? The amount of work involved for most games should be minimal if they're already configured for DosBox on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    I too want to know this. I'd also like to know if games will be built around wayland, what to do about existing games built around X, and if the graphical server even matters when it comes to fullscreen games.

@log0:
                    I'm sure AMD will have no reason to update their catalyst drivers once the open source drivers have officially obsoleted them. Removing support for catalyst as of right now would be a seriously poor decision on their part. Also, I'm not sure if the open source drivers have any support at all for AMD's workstation GPUs. I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've never heard of anyone trying a fireGL/firePro on the open source drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X